Ashland University to host national championship watch party

The Eagles and Bulldogs will take on one another at 3:30 EST

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University women’s basketball team is gearing up for the NCAA Division II 2022-2023 national championship.

On Saturday, April 1, 2023, the Eagles will be taking on the University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs in the lone star state of Dallas, Texas.

For those who cannot make the far trip, Ashland University’s athletic department is holding a championship game watch party in Kate’s Gymnasium.

“The goal of the watch party is to bring our community together just as we would for any home game and support our Lady Eagles,” said Assistant Athletic Director Elizabeth Hoge. “While we are not all able to be in Dallas cheering them on in person, we can still be together as a community watching and supporting them in our home gym.”

Kate’s Gymnasium, which is located at 916 King Rd in Ashland, Ohio, will not have any concessions, but Tuffy’s Smoothie Bar will be open. The Smoothie Bar is located in AU’s recreation center and will be open from 3-5:30 pm.

While there may not be concessions, there will be giveaways for fans in attendance.

Prior to the Eagles’ national championship appearance, the university’s student center held a watch party for both the Elite Eight and Final Four contests. With a good turnout for those, expect the same, if not more, for the big stage.

“I hope our students come out to support and I think playing for a national championship has really brought out the spotlight for our student athletes and they will show up to support each other,” said Hoge.

The Eagles and Bulldogs go toe-to-toe at 3:30 pm EST/2:30 pm CST this coming Saturday.