Eagle men set to take on Ferris State in opening round

The Eagles prepare for the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Tournament

AU Athletics

Eagles gear up for NCAA tournament, finish off conference play.

Ethan Jenkins, Reporter

After the Ashland University Eagles went the distance and won the Great Midwest Athletic Conference Championship, they are looking toward the first round of the Midwest Regional Tournament.

The No. 3 seeded Eagles are set for a date against the No. 6 Ferris State Bulldogs. The Eagles enter the contest with a record of 22-9 and the Bulldogs enter with a win-loss record of 23-8.

The two teams match up evenly on paper with nearly the same number of wins through the regular season and conference tournaments.

Looking at the last contest for the Eagles, they defeated the Malone Pioneers in the GMAC title game by a final score of 82-78.

The Eagles closed the contest with a 21 to 3 run in the last six and half minutes to secure the conference championship.

On the other side of things, the Bulldogs fell short of a GLIAC championship losing in the semifinal round of the tournament to the Northern Michigan Wildcats, 67-59.

The Eagles have met the Bulldogs once this season on Thanksgiving eve, where the purple and gold fell, 75-69.

Starting point guard, Simon Wheeler did not play in that contest, and the leading scorer for the Eagles, Brandon Haraway, shot just 3-11 from the field.

Although a 0-1 deficit in the season series, there is optimism that with Wheeler back, and a better performance from Haraway the Eagles can advance to the semifinal round on Sunday.

The Eagles will have to look to stop Solomon Oraegbu who averages 18 points per game in only 24 minutes of action per contest for Ferris State.

Tip-off between the Eagles and Bulldogs is set for noon on March 11, from the campus of the University of Indianapolis.