Eagle men’s basketball moves on to GMAC semi-final round

Haraway drops 23 in win against Storm

AU Athletics

Eagle starters sit on the bench preparing for their upcoming contest.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University men’s basketball team downed the Lake Erie College Storm in a tight nit contest Tuesday, Feb. 28, in Kates Gymnasium.

In the first round of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) postseason tournament, the No. 2 Eagles were matched up against the No. 7 Storm, with the Eagles pulling off an 81-69 victory.

Throughout the first half of play, the two teams exchanged blows early in the first seven minutes, but in the last 13 minutes, the Eagles started to run away with the contest. At the 13:21 mark, the Eagles led 17-11 before going on a spree from the field to make the score 29-18 with just under eight minutes left in the half.

A majority of the scoring came from forward James Manns who knocked down five three-pointers in the first half to go alongside a free throw. The Storm could not keep themselves disciplined defensively putting the Eagles in the bonus with upwards of eight minutes left until halftime.

With down under five minutes left, the Eagles led 40-22, scoring 11 while allowing just four in the span of three minutes. Guard Brandon Haraway was also getting the job done offensively as the team went into halftime leading 46-31.

In the second half, the Eagles pushed its lead all the way to 20 points with 10 minutes left in the game. Unfortunately for the Eagles though, Haraway would pick up four fouls and have to leave the contest.

Without Haraway, the offense was stagnant and the Storm was able to pile on the points, bringing the lead to just eight with six minutes left while going on a 12-0 run.

Head Coach of the Eagles John Ellenwood needed to get Haraway back into the contest and with four minutes left, the game was within four points. Haraway would check back in and secure the win for the Eagles as they outscored the Storm 10-5 down the stretch of the contest.

The Eagles finished the game shooting 56% from the field and 46% from beyond the arc, while Haraway led the team with 23 points, eight assists, three steals and one block.

The team will now travel to the campus of Walsh University to take on the Hillsdale College Chargers in the semi-final round of the conference tournament. The date and time are set for Friday, March 3, at 7:30 p.m.