Eagles recognized for weekly conference awards

Four Ashland University student-athletes awarded for their performances

The Great Midwest Athletic Conference recognizes a handful of athletes and their achievements each week.

Great Midwest Athletic Conference

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University athletics department has seen numerous weekly awards go to their student-athletes, but this week’s winners have put up great numbers in the stat columns, which have also resulted in wins.

The Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC) recognized men’s basketball guard Brandon Haraway, women’s basketball guard Hallie Heidemann, women’s lacrosse attacker Cassady Becker and STUNT flyer Alyssa McLaughlin.

Haraway, who has been on fire through his last five games, averaged 30.5 points, 5.0 assists and 60% from the field the week of Feb. 13. He led the Eagles to an 84-82 win over the Cedarville Yellowjackets while hitting the game-winning three-pointer, and also led the team to a win over the No. 13 nationally ranked Hillsdale College Chargers.

Through those two games, he contributed 61 total points.

On the women’s side, Heidemann has been on fire as she averaged 16.5 points, 7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.5 steals and one block while shooting a stellar 60% from the field.

In STUNT, Alyssa McLaughlin earned the conference award for the second week in a row as she combined for 83 points against the Hiram Terriers and Tiffin Dragons.

Lastly, the women’s lacrosse team saw Becker, the GMAC Attacker of the Year in 2022, scoring four goals in the team’s season opener against West Virginia Wesleyan.

The Eagles have now seen 11 athletes awarded in 2023.