Haraway’s game winner seals 84-82 win over Yellowjackets

Haraway drops in 30 points in nail-biting win

AU Athletics

The Eagles look to finish the season strong with two home games before going on the road to face the Trojans in the season finale.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University men’s basketball team traveled to Cedarville University to take on the Yellowjackets and won on the road.

To start the contest, the Eagles struggled to find momentum as they shot just 2 of 8 through their first eight shots. Coming out of the first media timeout, they continued to struggle as they trailed 12-4 with 14 minutes left until halftime.

After trailing by eight, the Yellowjackets only grew their lead with 10 minutes left until halftime as they led 28-12.

Head Coach John Ellenwood for the Eagles knew the team needed to regroup and routed a 10-2 run with seven minutes left until halftime to bring the game back within reach. Forward Victor Searls gained confidence inside the paint as he dropped in nine points including a three-point play.

With momentum starting to shift, the Eagles capitalized on the Yellowjackets back peddling and took their first lead of the contest, 42-41, with 1:17 left until halftime.

The Eagles would head into halftime leading 44-43 after being down by 16 points at one point in the first half. Searls recorded 13 points and guard Brandon Haraway tacked on 11. For the Yellowjackets, Grant Whisman dropped in 16 points while going 5 of 9 from the field.

Both teams shot a 53% from the field and 34% from beyond the arc as they entered the second half.

The tensions rose between both teams in the second half as with 12 minutes left, both teams had six fouls, meaning the next would enter them into the bonus.

With the Eagles leading 60-59, Yellowjacket forward Jacob Drees went down with an injury to his eye, resulting in him having to leave the contest. He would return two minutes later to help the teams paint presence down the stretch.

With under four minutes left, the Eagles led 78-74, with forward James Manns drilling two huge three-pointers with Brandon Haraway out of the contest to rest.

Heading into the final minute, Eagle forward Maceo Williams was able to convert at the rack to put the Eagles back up by four, 81-77, as the Yellowjackets dwindled the lead down to two moments before.

With 20 seconds left, Drees called his shot and from the right-wing drilled a deep three-point shot to put the Yellowjackets up by one, 82-81.

Following the make by Drees, Haraway received the inbound from Manns before dribbling down the court, getting a screen from Williams, and taking the game-sealing three-pointer to win it for Ashland from the left wing.

The Eagles improved to 17-8 on the season and 13-4 in conference play, while Haraway dropped in 30 points while going 10 of 16 from the field.

They now look to travel back home to take on the Hillsdale College Chargers on Saturday, Feb. 18 and the Malone Pioneers on Thursday, Feb. 23. After those two home contests, they travel back on the road to take on the Trevecca Nazarene Trojans on Saturday, Feb. 25.