Eagle women’s basketball downs the Yellowjackets, 107-83

Heidemann records 22 in win on the road

The+Eagles+look+to+keep+their+undefeated+streak+strong+as+they+head+into+a+highly+anticipated+home-stand.+

AU Athletics

The Eagles look to keep their undefeated streak strong as they head into a highly anticipated home-stand.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University women’s basketball team traveled two hours south to the campus of Cedarville University Yellowjackets. With ease, they were able to improve their record to 26-0 on the season with two games left in the season.

In the first half, the Eagles started out slow and could not find a rhythm defensively as they finished the first quarter leading by just two points, 19-17. Both teams shot a stellar 50% from the field, but could not find themselves anything to go from outside the arc, shooting just 18% combined.

In the second quarter, the Yellowjackets fell behind as the Eagles went on an 8-0 run. Yellowjacket star Paige Garr recorded 12 first-half points while going 4 of 6 from the field and 1 of 2 from beyond the arc to keep the contest close. Right before halftime, the Yellowjackets brought the game within three points, but a buzzer-beater heave from Eagle guard Morgan Yoder brought momentum back into their favor as they led 44-38 at halftime.

Coming out of halftime, the Eagles saw some struggles defensively, with Head Coach Kari Pickens telling the team to, “Wake Up! Wake Up! Wake Up!”

While unhappy with the defensive efforts, the offense started to find itself a rhythm as they piled on 28 points with guard Hallie Heidemann raining down three three-pointers in the quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the team only ran away with the game more. They continued to make shots rain down as they hit 82% of their shots from the field and 60% from beyond the arc. They would finish the contest with Heidemann scoring 22 points, bringing down seven rebounds and shooting 6 of 6 from beyond the arc.

Alongside Heidemann, forward Zoe Miller had an impressive game filling in for the missing Hayley Smith as she tacked on 18 points.

The Eagles finished the contest shooting 63% from the field and 44% from beyond the arc. They also dished off 28 assists, keeping themselves as the No. 1 assisting team in the country.

They now look to head home for their final two games of the season, as they take on the Hillsdale College Chargers on Saturday, Feb. 18, and the Malone Pioneers on Tuesday, Feb. 23.