Virtual reality will become reality in the future of the library

360 degree camera up close

Senior Instructional Designer Dr. Charles Piscitello goes into detail on the extended reality (XR) conference room that involves virtual reality in the Archer Library of Ashland University.

“We have had virtual reality for awhile now, but we are getting a lot more support now from the grant,” Piscitello said, as he explains that the virtual reality XR conference room in the library will become true in the future.

“It’s just a matter of time for the construction to start in the library,” he added.

The room and the equipment can be designed and used by professors and students in the library for a different learning experience.

“Something that is on the horizon is the use of doing on-site learning through the holo lens,” Piscitello said.

An example of the on-site learning is to use the virtual reality equipment to perform surgeries, or other forms of operation on cadavers without being on an actual site.

Students in the criminal justice program, for instance, can also use the space to solve simulated crime cases to enhance real experience, but through a virtual world.

“The equipment also involves three-sixty degree cameras for on-site learning or observations,” Piscitello said, detailing that it could also be used for environmental studies as well.

This can also extend to the physical classroom, making online visibility more natural and impressive.

“We recorded traditional videos with other professors and one-eighty videos where you can look around the classroom,” Piscitello said.

The video can be posted on Blackboard where students are able to use their mouse to look around on the video to get maximum learning experience. This will also allow professors to ease restrictions on lectures and teachings, enhancing the online experience for students who use Zoom.

“The camera is very easy to use,” Piscitello said.

“You can connect the camera to your phone, and record a three-sixty degree video,” Piscitello said. “No matter where you are, you can record whatever you want, and the video will go right to the storage of your phone.”
“With medical, you have access to things that are really complicated,” Piscitello said, explaining that the professor can do “deep dives into a topic without actually doing on-site experience.”

Piscitello said the goal is to bring the on-site to the classroom instantly.

“This is in the baby stages because the room isn’t constructed yet,” Piscitello said.