Ashland University sees success with student retention

Advisor Kristin Herrick advising a student on their schedule

As of week three of the spring semester, Ashland University has a strong retention rate of 90%.

The retention rate for this time last year was 85.5% with an increase of 4.5%

The retention rate is historically measured from the fall to spring semester, according to Catherine Williams, assistant provost of student success.

Based on the current enrollment, so far for the spring semester according to Williams, 32 students are not registered for the spring 2023 semester.

Within the 32 students are a range of reasons as to why they are departing AU. A few reasons include financial, family issues, mental health, athletics and military.

With a rather successful retention rate, the AU student success unit has been developing and improving in multiple ways to retain students.

One of the areas has been the greenlighting appointments and timeline feature located in Self-Service so students are able to track their progress and keep track of classes in order to graduate.

The advisor is able to plug in the classes that are needed with the advisee to make sure the student is on the right track to graduate on time.

“Even if we are not their advisor in the system, we can still help and refer you to the faculty,” added Williams.

Another important area that makes sure students’ needs are met is what Williams dubbed “the 15 to finish.”

This means that if a student takes 15 credit hours a semester, a student should achieve 120 credit hours in order to graduate, but there are exceptions depending on majors and minors, and programs like Ashbrook or Honors.

In helping and understanding students better, the student success unit uses the Ruffalo Noel Levitz Assessment, which helps identify a student’s academic needs, general coping skills and receptivity to support services.

Advisors review results with each student to help make sure that they have everything they need.

There is also new programming in place to help second-year students.

“With second year students, we’ve implemented a lot of new retention initiatives,” said Williams.

Some of those new retention initiatives are the halfway to graduation celebration, taking place in April this year, second-year advisor breakfast and the Ruffalo Noel Levitz Second Year assessment.

“We do a lot of ad hoc things like go to convo on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and if you ever see our table of academic advisors, most of the time they’re not eating,” Williams said. “So we do alot of ad hoc things because we have obviously picked this career because we love it.”

AU’s high retention rate is because of the student success unit working with students to make sure their needs are met and are set up for “success” at AU.