Eagle men’s basketball mounts upset over Hillsdale, 82-73

Haraway drops in 24 points in bounce-back win

AU Athletics

The Eagles now look to return to home on Feb. 4, against the Lake Erie Storm.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Eagle men’s basketball team waltzed into The George Roche Sports Complex and dominated the Chargers in a must-win contest.

While this win has little effect on the Great Midwest Athletic Conference standings, the win showcased that the Eagles are able to hold with the top team in the conference.

Coming into their contest against the Eagles the Chargers were the No. 9 team in the country at a 19-2 overall record and a 12-2 conference record. The Eagles on the other hand came into the contest at a 13-7 overall record and a 9-4 conference record.

While the records seem relatively similar, the aura around the contest saw the Chargers as favorites. That would not last long however as to start the first half the Eagles came out swinging.

They outscored the Chargers 33-18 in the first half of play.

Out of the first media timeout freshman guard, Derrick James, contributed eight points off a jumper and two three-pointers that helped grow a strong lead for the Eagles. They were able to go on a 14-0 run as the first half came to a close behind a handful of Eagles off the bench and also held the Chargers to just 21% from the field.

At halftime, adjustments for the Chargers needed to be made at home, and they were.

They came out swinging against the Eagles and brought the game back within seven early, 37-30, but the run was stopped after freshman guard Simon Wheeler tallied on a three-point play.

The Chargers continued to fight and once again brought the game close with just a 42-39 lead for the Eagles, but just like before they extended that lead further.

As the contest came to a close, Wheeler got hot and started to lead the Eagles to victory. The team sealed the game with a barrage of free throws, making 20 of 22.

The Eagles were led by Haraway who recorded 24 points, four rebounds and four assists, while Wheeler tacked on 17 points and six assists. Off the bench forward Maceo Williams tallied 12 points and five rebounds.

The team’s record improved to 14-7 on the season and 10-4 in conference play as they return home to take on the Lake Erie Storm Saturday, with tipoff set for 3 P.M.