Eagle men basketball return back home to take on Findlay

The Eagles look to re-establish a win streak after their nine game streak came to a close

AU Athletics

The Eagles, with a fresh starting lineup, sit towards the top of the GMAC table.

Olivia Pliske, Reporter

The Ashland University men’s basketball team has continued to prove once again that they are here to dominate after having a 9-game win streak, now with a winning record of 11-5 overall and 7-2 in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. 

The Eagles nine game-win streak came to an end after playing the Walsh Cavaliers after a 74-45 loss. 

Redshirt freshman Maceo Williams lead the Eagles with 16 points and went 7 for 8 on the night, for one of his best performances of the season.

“Our team has a great connection and we care about each other.” Said Williams about the team chemistry this year. “What is a team without brotherhood, everyone plays better when the team knows each other really well.” 

The Eagles came into this season with what seemed to be a bigger ratio of new players to veterans, and for most teams, communication and relationships could be the hardest thing to get a new team to do.

However, the Eagles, have done nothing but continue to prove to everyone that this has not been an issue. Their relationship and bonds established this year have helped them with their winning streak. 

Freshman Guards Derrick James and Simon Wheeler are both prime examples of fresh faces that have helped the bond within the team. 

“The connection between us is always getting tighter day by day,” said James. “With the work, we are putting in, it is better to go through adversity together. Picking each other up every day is only going to get us tighter and result in great chemistry on and off the court.” 

Wheeler also believes that the teams’ chemistry off the court has helped them tremendously going deeper into the season. “We came together on and off the court and become brothers instead of teammates, and that helps us out a lot when out there knowing you have a brother to go to war with you.” 

Along with new players, Graduate Assistant Aaron Shambry has also joined the Eagles this year and has seen major improvements from the team this season.

“We improved our roles in the team, everybody figured out their role and mastered it to a certain extent,” said Shambry.

Being one of the oldest veterans on the team, Senior CJ Karsatos has seen an immense amount of change over his time at AU.

“I think this team has great chemistry and connection our team will only get better,” said Karsatos.

The Eagles are set to take on their next game against GMAC rival Findlay Oilers who have a 10-6 record and are 5-3 in the conference. Findlay is currently sitting at number 6th overall ranking in the conference, whereas the eagles sit at the #2 spot behind Hillsdale. 

Tip-off is set for 7:30 PM on January 19th in Kate’s Gymnasium to try and begin another win streak.