No. 1 Eagles take down Cedarville Yellowjackets, 90-60

The Eagles improve their record to 15-0 on the season

AU Athletics

Heidemann continues to shine with the Eagles in her 5th-year with the program.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University women’s basketball team took on the Cedarville Yellowjackets in their first contest of 2023 as they came out on top by 30 points, 90-60.

With momentum brewing with an undefeated 14-0 record and a No. 1 national ranking, the Eagles’ confidence only bolstered as they took on the Yellowjackets.

To finish the first quarter of play, the Eagles struggled as they allowed the Yellowjackets to lead, 15-13. At one point, the Eagles led 10-3, but inconsistent shooting and blown opportunities led to the Yellowjackets making a run. Fortunately for the Eagles, that run would only last in the first quarter as the second quarter of play saw a massive change in momentum.

Eagle guard Hallie Heidemann started the second quarter of play with two three-pointers and a steal to put the Eagles back ahead. After a timeout was called by the Yellowjackets, things only got worse for them. The Eagles would go on to outscore them, 35-12 in quarter number two.

At halftime, the Eagles led 48-27 with 12 total threes under their belt. The 12 three-pointers would be just six short of the school record of 18 in a contest. In the second half, momentum heavily favored the Eagles.

In the third quarter of play, the Eagles outscored the Yellowjackets 25-10 as they shot 69 percent from the field. In comparison, the Yellowjackets shot just 5-16 from the field.

The fourth quarter saw Head Coach Kari Pickens of the Eagles dive deep into its bench as freshmen Sophia Niese and Meredith Randulic got late-game action.

The final score finished 90-60, with the Eagles shooting a stellar 55 percent from the field and 49 percent from beyond the arc. Heidemann finished the game shooting 7 of 9 from beyond the arc to go alongside 25 points and three steals. She was two three-pointers short of the program record for three-pointers in a contest.

The Yellowjackets were led by Lydia Sweeney who recorded 21 points on 9 of 15 from the field and two steals.

The Eagles improve to 15-0 on the season while the Yellowjackets fall to 3-9.

They now look to take on the Northwood Timberwolves, Saturday, Jan. 7 with tipoff set for 1 P.M.