AU men’s basketball downs Trojans, 82-42

Eagles improve win streak to four games

AU Athletics

Eagles see senior forward Ethan Conley (pictured) take on a new role as a leader and three point shooter for this new-look team.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University men’s basketball team took on the Trevecca Nazarene Trojans in Kates Gymnasium on Dec. 19.

In the contest, the Eagles showcased an impressive playstyle that provided a swift offense and stifling defense.

To start the first half of play, the Eagles and Trojans battled back and forth in order to start with momentum. While the Trojans put up a fight, the Eagles started to separate themselves from their opponent as forward Victor Searls continued his consistent play.

Searls led the Eagles as they dominated inside the paint recording almost half of their 34 points inside the free-throw line. Heading into halftime, the Eagles led 34-16.

To start the second half, the Eagles made a run as they outscored the Trojans, 17-11. While the Trojans continued to scrap away at the massive deficit, they continued to utilize 6’11 center Caleb Terry who continued to perform well underneath the hoop. Whether it was the right or left block, Terry had his way as each shot he took seemed to find its way through the netting.

Although the offensive efforts for the Trojans started to ramp up, defensively, the struggles continued.

Within the last 12 minutes of play, the Trojans would allow 27 points to the Eagle offense including six from rotational guard Luke Metzger. After coming off the bench Metzger would knock down back-to-back three-point shots from both the right and left corners. His six points would showcase just how deep the Eagles’ roster can be this season.

To finish the contest the Eagles would shoot 62% from the field, 41% from three-point range and 52% from the free throw line in the 82-42 victory. Their win improved their record to 6-4 overall and 4-1 in conference play. After falling in the conference season opener to the Findlay Oilers, the Eagles have won four straight and now look to rely on their newfound momentum as the new year approaches.

Against the Trojans, they saw Searls put up 17, guard Brandon Haraway record 14 and graduate student James Manns drop in 11.

The Eagles now look to travel to Detroit, Mich. where they take on the Wayne State Warriors with tipoff set for 3 P.M.