AU men’s basketball falls, 76-68, in conference opener against Oilers

Haraway puts up 20 points in loss to Findlay

Jacob Hoffman

Eagle center Victor Searls slams home a dunk.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University men’s basketball made the 90-minute trek to Findlay University to take on the Oilers in their conference regular season opener contest. The Eagles, who left nonconference play with a 2-3 record, had much to prove against the Oilers.

In what was expected to be an exciting contest, the Eagles, unfortunately, fell to the veteran-loaded Oilers, 76-68.

To start the game, the Eagles trotted out a strong starting lineup consisting of guard Brandon Haraway, guard Simon Wheeler, forward Stefan Stanich, forward James Manns and center Victor Searls.

That core lineup started off the contest with two big scores from Searls down low to get the Eagle offense started.

With a quick start for the Eagles, the Oilers needed to come back and do the same, and that they did. For the remainder of the first half tensions slowly grew and aggressiveness continued between the two squads. Haraway started off quickly putting up eight points 10 minutes into the contest.

As halftime hit, the Eagles led 38-35 over the Oilers with Haraway and Searls leading the squad offensively with a combined total of 17 points. Outside of those two, freshmen Wheeler and Derrick James dominated with four points apiece and helped exponentially on defense.

In the second half, those inside the arena recognized the tension and aggression between these two teams and the second half would contain that same attitude.

The Eagles and Oilers battled back and forth with either squad taking a five-point lead at one point. With 11 minutes left until the game concluded the Eagles would be down 53-48 and in need of a new source of drive.

At the timeout break, Haraway, visually frustrated, communicated that frustration with the team.

“We are playing like boys, we are playing like boys,” yelled Haraway.

That teammate communication gave the Eagles new life on the offensive side of things as they put up 12 points quickly coming out of the timeout to take a 60-56 lead.

The duo of Haraway and Wheeler continued to facilitate new life into the offense.

As the game approached its close, the Eagles were down 71-65 with 2 minutes remaining as forward Ethan Conley hit a big three-pointer to bring the game within three and keep his team in it.

Unfortunately, even with the momentum trying to be brought back, the Eagles fell, 76-68.

The Oilers were led by forward Nathan Bruns who contributed 17 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists in the victory. Alongside Bruns, guard Deven Stover added 14 points on five of eight from the field.

The Eagles on the other hand saw Haraway contribute 20 points, Searls add 11 and off-the-bench contributor Maceo Williams add 12 in his efforts.

With the loss, the Eagles next look to take on the Walsh Cavaliers in seven days on Dec. 8, at 7:30 pm. They start conference play 0-1 and sit at a 2-4 record.