Men’s basketball struggles in opening season tournament

Eagles start season 0-2 in non-conference play

goashlandeagles.com

Eagles look to lean on underclassmen and newcomers in 2022-2023 season.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

In the Midwest Regional Crossover, the Ashland University men’s basketball team struggled, losing both of their opening contests.

The Eagles, who are fresh with underclassmen, fell 80-67 to the Illinois Springfield Praire Stars and 74-66 to the Wisconsin-Parkside Rangers. Both contests were opened on the road in Kenosha, Wis.

In the first match of the season, the Eagles took on the Praire Stars and struggled, going into halftime down by 13, 45-32. In the second half, the Eagles tried to will their way back into the contest but were unable to do so.

Eagle guards Brandon Haraway and Simon Wheeler lead the way combining for 39 points. Haraway also hauled in eight rebounds and dished off two assists.

Behind Haraway in rebounds was sophomore forward Stefan Stanic who brought in three offensive boards and four defensive boards to go alongside five fouls in 28 minutes of play.

While they struggled, the raw underclassmen talent looked promising. The team as a whole shot 39% from the field, 29% from 3PT range and 82% from the free throw line.

After falling to the Praire Stars, the Eagles then took on the Rangers and made immense improvements from their season opener.

Wheeler dropped in nine points and dished off six assists to go alongside a 50% 3PT percentage.

The big standout though was newly starting center Victor Searls who put up 18 points, six rebounds and a 57% field goal percentage.

The team as a whole shot 46% from the field, 29% from 3PT range and 71% from the free throw line.

With the team making progress from the opening contest to the second game, the Eagles look to continue their season as they travel back home to Kates Gymnasium.

They look to take on the Gannon Knights on Tuesday, Nov. 15, with tipoff set for 7 p.m.