Women’s basketball finishes opening weekend tournament

Eagles down Warriors and Greyhounds with 87 point performances

goashlandeagles.com

Senior forward Annie Roshak backs down an opponent in a conference game last season.

Ethan Jenkins, Reporter

The 2021-22 Women’s Basketball season ended with a frustrating loss to the Walsh Cavaliers in the semi-final round of the regional tournament.

Now the team is back with vengeance on its mind for this year and took on the Wayne State Warriors and the Indianapolis Greyhounds in the first two games of the 2022-23 campaign.

The Eagles were back dominating just as they have been used to for the better part of half a decade.

In the first quarter vs the Warriors, The Eagles landed a knockout punch early outscoring the Warriors 26 to 8. The big differential, along with the 8-point differential in the second quarter made up the total scoring difference. 

The Eagles and the Warriors broke dead even both scoring 41 points a piece in the second half. The hot start from the Eagles had them end up with an 87-61 win in its first nonconference game of the year. 

Sophomore forward Zoe Miller, who is a transfer from Bowling Green University made a big impact on the offensive end in her first game in purple and gold, recording 22 points, 3 assists and 3 rebounds.

Another transfer student-athlete was the second-leading scorer for the Eagles vs. the Warriors. 

Graduate student Maddie Maloney, who transferred from Saginaw Valley State also made an impact on the offensive end recording 14 points on 5-5 from the field.

After the win in the first game of the season, the Eagles traveled to Indianapolis, Ind. to take on the Indianapolis Greyhounds. 

The Eagles mirrored the dominant start in the first game of the year, by this time outscoring the Greyhounds 21 to 3 in the first frame. 

The Eagles would go on to outscore the Greyhounds in every quarter eventually wrapping up an 87 to 49 win. The transfers made a huge impact in the first game of the year but in the second game, the veterans of the team carried the load.

Senior forward, Annie Roshak, scored in double figures putting up 18 points and 2 assists on the offensive end. She also made a huge impact on the defensive end putting up 3 blocks and 2 steals.

In the backcourt, Graduate Student Hallie Heidemann had her best game of the young season vs Indianapolis. Heidemann matched Roshak’s 18 points and added 4 rebounds and 3 steals in contribution to the win.

The Eagles offense has now put up 87 points in back-to-back games and will look to continue the strong offensive performances against the Saginaw Valley State Cardinals, on Nov. 16 at 5:30 p.m. inside Kates Gymnasium.