AU women’s basketball prepares for Nov. 11 season debut

Eagles look to bounce back from Regional semi-final loss to Walsh last season

goashlandeagles.com

Junior Macy Spielman looks to lead the Eagles in the 2022-2023 season.

Ethan Jenkins, Reporter

After a disappointing end to the 2021-2022 season for the women’s basketball team, the team is back with bigger goals on its mind.

The Eagles came up short against conference foe, the Walsh Cavaliers in the semifinal round of the Midwest Regional tournament. A team that had a national championship in its goals fell well short of that mark.

Now with the season just a number of days away the team is back and motivated to accomplish its goals this season. With many incoming freshmen and transfer students, team chemistry may seem like a small goal, but it’s the first to build a championship team.

Head Coach Kari Pickens complemented the incoming players, “Everyone has been incredibly bought in and we’ve had great team chemistry thus far. Our incoming athletes are amazing people so the transition has been smooth,” said Pickens.

Returning players on the team, including returning junior Hayley Smith feel that not just the coaches are in charge of team bonding. Hayley’s first goals that come to mind for herself are not on the court but off the court instead.

“My personal goals for the season are to first be really a good teammate for my team and to be more of a vocal leader. This is extremely important because we have a lot of new faces and that is what it takes to be a successful team,” said Smith.

On the court, the team demands success from themselves which has been the main motivating factor. The women that will lace up their shoes for 28 regular season games this year expect nothing less than equal success in the postseason. 

“Our goals for this season remain the same as they always have: be the best division two women’s basketball team in the country and make a positive impact on all who cross our path,” said Senior Annie Roshak. 

“We also know that we are more than basketball players and want to use our platform for good,” she continued.

The Eagles have a chance to make a run back to where they made it half a decade ago in 2017, the national championship game. The Eagles first stepping stone of the season to reach the national championship, comes in the motor city against Wayne State on Nov. 11 at 6 p.m.