Eagle men’s basketball looks to start 2022-2023 season

Eagles look to rebound from 18-10 season

Eagle senior Brandon Haraway looks to perform well in final season.

Olivia Pliske, Reporter

Ashland University Men’s Basketball team is looking forward to its upcoming season with high hopes as they welcome new players to its roster. 

After a well-fought season last year, the team is looking forward to bringing a fresh set of new faces to the lineup to bring home a Great Midwest Athletic Conference Championship title this year. 

After finishing the season with an overall 18-10 record, both veteran players and new Eagles, all have similar thoughts as to how they feel about the season and what’s to come. 

The team brought in many new faces, and sophomore forward Maceo Williams is an athlete who looks to have a bigger role this season.

“Over the summer and the beginning of the school year, Coach [Ellenwood] wanted us to bond with all the teammates and create a strong relationship, making sure that team connection continues to be there,” said Williams. “That is what will help carry us into the season.”

Alongside Williams, senior forward CJ Karsatos had many good things to say about this upcoming season and the things that he is looking forward to the most. 

“This season I am most looking forward to just having the opportunity to compete with my team with the goal of winning a conference championship,” said Karsatos. “It’s been very important for our team to spend quality time together to build the brotherhood that Ashland basketball is. This fall I believe we built a bond and that it will translate on the floor come November 11th.”

One of many new faces on the team is freshman Derrick James from Canal Winchester, who is also very excited to see what this squad will bring.

“I am looking forward to winning the conference with this group of guys as our first goal where we have to compete together at the highest level possible and take it one game at a time,” said James. “On a relationship standard, we definitely have a lot of new relationships but all of the preseason we emphasized “team bonding” and I definitely see that those who watch us this year will see that in our play this year.” 

James finished his high school career averaging 19 points, six assists, four rebounds and 2.6 steals per game. He looks to bring shifty guard-like play to an already versatile team.

Alongside newcomer James, Wright State University transfer James Manns strongly believes that the chemistry between the guys this year is going to truly help them succeed this season.

“I believe chemistry has and will be a big part of a successful season,” said Manns. “We have been preparing all summer with the young guys building a relationship on and off the court. Learning everything step by step and making sure each young guy knows that a championship team isn’t built in one day.”

The team is looking to start the season on a high note this year on Nov. 11 when they will take on Illinois Springfield University to start off its season.