Eagle tennis teams pull off sweep at St. Francis

Rassat continues great play

goashlandeagles.com

The Eagles see their doubles teams perform well in the 2022 fall season.

Bryaden Creveling, Reporter

The Ashland University Tennis team concludes their fall  2022 season with 7-0 decisions from both the men’s and women’s teams at Saint Francis (Ind.) on Saturday, Oct. 15. 

The men’s tennis team shined on the individual side of things. Ashland’s William Rassat, Tomas Paskauskas, Fabian Bussard, Benedikt Weinboerner, Gabriel Seminario, and Omar Prince all won their individual matches. 

William Rassat is only a sophomore but has already gained recognition by being named Great Midwest Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year in 2021. While he is far away from his home in France, he has built a new home here in Ashland. 

“The team chemistry has never been stronger, we are very close as a team and we get along very well,” said Rassat. “Most importantly, we all have a good attitude and that’s what will make us get better every day. We know when to joke around, but we also know when to be serious in those moments,” he added.

The six tennis players also all stayed undefeated winning their doubles matches. Rassat and Paskauskas teamed up to win their match 6-1, Bussard and Weinboerner outdueled their opponent 6-2, and Prince alongside Seminario finished strong winning their match 6-3.

The women’s singles match kept the Eagles undefeated for the day. Ashland’s Ana Penteado swept her opponent (6-0, 6-0) while Claudia Adcock, Anna Corbel, Kortney Reed, and Josie Georges all won their individual matches. 

I believe our team has improved and succeeded a lot more than what we expected from pre-season. We brought in some great players this year that have helped our team out tremendously and we’re excited for what’s to come in the future,” Reed said.

The women’s double matches landed nearly the same results as the Eagles won both of their doubles matches. The primary duo of Penteado and Reed swept (6-0) and the secondary duo of Adcock and Corbel won their match as well. 

“I’d say that overall I think we were very successful in the final few matches. We still need to keep preparing through winter because this is just the fall season and it is a preparation for our main season and conference matches in spring,” Penteado said.

The men’s and women’s tennis teams will not be back in action until the spring season starts in 2023.