Eagle soccer prepares for Pioneers at home

Both Eagle teams sit at first in the GMAC

Jacob Hoffman

The Eagles prepare to take on the Malone Pioneers in conference play Thursday, Oct. 13.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University men’s and women’s soccer teams are preparing to take on the Malone Pioneers at Ferguson Field Thursday, Oct. 13.

The women’s team is coming off an impressive 4-0 victory over the Lake Erie Storm and currently sits on a five-game win streak.

In all five of those wins, goalkeeper Bri Rogers has been stellar recording five clean sheets to go alongside nine saves and 24 shots faced.

The offensive production for the Eagles has been led by sophomore forward McKinley Mendenhall who has knocked in six goals and dished off eight assists to lead the team in both categories.

In the GMAC, Mendenhall sits fifth in goals scored and first in assists on the season.

The Eagles as a whole sit first in the least goals allowed, first in assists, fourth in shots, fourth in goals and dead last in saves showcasing how well-rounded the team is.

Currently, the team sits at a record of 10-3 overall on the season and 8-1 in conference play. With five games remaining until the season draws to a close the women’s team looks to finish strong.

The men’s team on the other hand looks to bounce back after a 2-1 loss to the Cedarville Yellowjackets last Thursday, Oct. 6.

Going into their contest against the Yellowjackets the Eagles sat on a six-game win streak that thrusted them into the top spot in the GMAC.

After the loss, the Eagles sit tied with the Tiffin Dragons for first place at 18 points a piece.

Over their last seven contests, the Eagles have given up seven goals while knocking in 16.

In three of those seven, goalkeeper Ty Bowden has shut out his opponents three times while recording 16 saves.

Offensively the team has played well sharing the ball and distributing goals and assists evenly. Currently, 10 different individuals have scored goals and nine have recorded assists.

With a young, inexperienced roster, the ability to move the ball effectively and give different players the opportunity to shine has become a predominant factor in this team’s success.

The men’s team currently sits at a record of 7-4-1 overall and 6-3 in conference play.

With both squads preparing to take on the Pioneers the men’s team is set for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff and the women’s team is set for a 6:30 pm kickoff.13.