Women’s soccer wins, 4-0, against Lake Erie

Mendenhall slots two goals in victory

The Eagles pull off a victory at home against the No. 4 team in the country.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University women’s soccer team has extended its win streak to five games with a dominating 4-0 victory over the Lake Erie Storm on the road.

After traveling roughly an hour and 30 minutes north to Painesville, Ohio, the Eagles rode the bus back home with their heads hung high.

The competition against the Storm was held on Sunday, Oct. 9, at 1 p.m.

They started the matchup with a quick goal in the 17th minute after a pass from midfielder Georgia Nagucki found the foot of forward McKinley Mendenhall who slotted the ball past the keeper to record her fifth goal of the season and first of the contest.

Just seven minutes later Mendenhall would find the back of the net once more. This time, a pass from freshman midfielder Dani Hicks, found the foot of Mendenhall who took off down the middle of the field and slid the ball past the goalkeeper for her second goal of the contest, sixth of the season, to make the score 2-0.

Now with a stifling 2-0 lead in the first half the Eagles did not slow down and five minutes later found another goal to make the score 3-0.

The third goal of the contest came from Hicks who was assisted by Nagucki. Nagucki played a ball over the top which was run on by Hicks who then beat the goalkeeper and found her fifth goal of the season.

With three goals in the span of 12 minutes the Eagles sat back and played conservative soccer to keep the Storm off the board.

The next goal of the contest would not occur until the 70th minute of play, 40 minutes after the previous.

The Eagles would have a corner kick sent into the box and after numerous shots from the Eagles, a deflection would fall down to the feet of midfielder Leiah Goedde who smashed the ball over the head of the goalkeeper to find her first collegiate goal.

The contest finished with a 4-0 scoreline with Mendenhall recording two goals, Hicks recording a goal and an assist, Nagucki with two assists, and Goedde with a goal.

Mendenhall now has six goals and eight assists on the season. Her eight assists are enough to place her at fifth in Division II women’s soccer in assists this year.

Goalkeeper Bri Rogers continued to shine with another clean sheet. Now on the season, she has seven clean sheets and 33 saves. She currently leads the GMAC in clean sheets and sits at second in least amount of goals allowed on the season.

Through 13 competitions played she has allowed just 11 goals averaging under a goal a contest.

With the victory, they improve to 10-3 on the season and 8-1 in conference play.

The Eagles look to take on the Malone Pioneers on Thursday, Oct. 13, with kickoff set for 6:30 p.m.