Eagle football team set to take on Walsh Cavaliers

The Eagles will travel to Walsh to keep their undefeated streak alive

Wesley Seyfang

Quarterback Austin Brenner lines up for a snap against the Northwood Timberwolves in Week Five of the 2022-2023 season.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University football team is set to travel to Larry Staudt Field to take on the Walsh Cavaliers.

In what hopes to be a competitive matchup, the undefeated Eagles are heavily favored to dominate the winless Cavaliers.

Currently, the Eagles sit at a record of 4-0 and 2-0 in conference play. Their most recent matchup came against the Northwood Timberwolves in which the Eagles put up 56 points in a 56-17 victory.

Starting quarterback Austin Brenner was phenomenal as he finally found his footing in the 2022-2023 season, passing for 300 passing yards and two touchdowns.

On the season Brenner now has 831 passing yards to go alongside four touchdowns in four games played.

In the rushing attack, the Eagles have shined in every crevice of the running back room. Starting running back Gei’Vonni Washington has 329 rushing yards to go alongside six touchdowns on the ground. Counterparts Eli Potts and Larry Martin have pitched in 433 yards and six touchdowns.

Outside of the three main backs, fullbacks Isaac Hadley and Garret Niss have added two touchdowns on the ground together.

With the rushing and passing attacks proving hard for teams to handle, the defense makes it even harder.

Star linebacker, and potential future NFL talent, Michael Ayers has been a force to reckon with. In the last contest against the Timberwolves, he recorded nine tackles, three tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles, and two sacks.

Now on the season, Ayers has 34 tackles, six and a half tackles for a loss, three forced fumbles, and two and a half sacks.

The defense has also seen impressive ball-hawking skills from safety Jourdan Swett who hauled in two interceptions on the season with his most recent 0ccuring last game against the Timberwolves. Defensive backs Justin Moore, Anthony Harkness,  Devin Prude, and defensive end Nathan Spatny also have an interception on the season.

Although the Eagle defense has shut down the passing game, the quarterback pressure has been immense as well. Defensive lineman Nick Cone and Deeb Alawan currently lead the team with three and a half sacks this season.

While the Eagles have been great this season, the opposite can be said for the Cavaliers.

Currently, they sit at a record of 0-5 overall and 0-3 in conference play. Their most recent loss came at the hands of the Ohio Dominican Panthers where they fell 21-0.

Starting quarterback Tom Vatter struggled throwing for just 88 passing yards and two interceptions in the scoreless loss.

Their offense as a whole is averaging just eight points per contest while the defense is allowing an average of 34 per contest.

With just four total touchdowns on the season through five contests, the Eagles’ defense will look to have another stellar day on the road.

Kickoff at Larry Staudt Field on the campus of Walsh University is set for 12 p.m.

How to watch, attend, and listen:

Watch: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/walsh/

Listen: https://wncoam.iheart.com/

Tickets: https://athletics.walsh.edu/sports/2022/7/8/information-ticketing.aspx

Attend: Milazzo Soccer Field, North Canton, OH 44720