AU golf continues mid-season success

The women’s and men’s golf teams continue to grow

goashlandeagles.com

AU women’s golf continues to perform well as the 2022-2023 rolls on.

Brayden Creveling, Reporter

The Ashland University men’s and women’s golf teams are looking forward to the rest of the fall as they hope to follow some early season success.

Both teams collectively have five top-5 place finishes in their invitationals.

The men’s team managed to maintain a fifth-place finish at the Doc Stagg Invite in Findlay.

Nick Stehle, a senior golfer, credited the team by saying this is one of the strongest men’s golf rosters in school history.

“Some of our goals include winning the conference tournament, being ranked top 50 in the nation, and qualifying for the NCAA regional tournament,” said Stehle.

He is currently heading into his senior year for the Eagles and hopes to continue to play some of his best golf.

“We have a great group of guys and our chemistry is very good,” said Stehle. “We’re always finding ways to pick each other up and keep each other going whether we are playing well or not.”

The men are back in action Oct 9 and 10 in Dearborn, Mich. for the Wayne State Motor City Invitational hosted by Wayne State.

On the other hand, the women’s team is coming off a first-place finish in the Ashland Eagle Invitational on Sept. 24 and 25.

The Eagles were led by youth as freshman Klaira Paramore who finished third with a score of 159. Sophomore Grace Grant finished fourth in the tournament overall with a score of 161.

They were assisted by teammates Maddy Klinger, Emma Conway, Mailis Simovart, and Lindsay Mayo.

William Pollock, head coach of the girl’s golf team, credits team chemistry to some success within his squad but knows he has some youth. 

Pollock has a pretty good understanding that his ladies know their roles on the team but he knows some people might have their time to shine while it’s early in the season.

“It is so important to be ready and put in the work when your name is called. We have ladies that are doing just that,” said Pollock. “We are a young team with excellent leadership from our junior class that won’t let anyone get complacent.”

Ashland Women’s golf team will be on the road as they compete in Findlay’s Fall Classic Oct. 3rd and 4th.