Eagles win at home, 56-17, against Northwood

Washington dominates in back to back weeks with 2 touchdowns against Timberwolves

Wesley Seyfang

The Eagles pulled off a dominating 56-17 victory against the Timberwolves in Week Five of the season.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

The Ashland University football team continued its outstanding play as of late, this time downing the Northwood Timberwolves 56-17.

In the first half of play Eagle quarterback Austin Brenner finally found his groove recording 139 yards passing and scrambled for two first downs for 25 yards.

Brenner found wideout Malik Wooldridge for three receptions for 50 yards, and wideout Garrett Turnbaugh for a massive 35-yard pass.

Four touchdowns came on the ground for the Eagles as star running back Gei’Vonni Washington rushed for two and counterpart Larry Martin rushed for one. Fullback Garret Niss recorded his first touchdown of the season on a one yard rush up the gun.

The defense saw safety Jourdan Swett pick off Timberwolve quarterback Nate Gomez on the second drive of the game, and Michael Ayers forced two fumbles as the first half came to a close.

The first half finished with the Eagles on top with a 28-7 lead.

In the second half the Eagles didn’t slow down as they added 28 more points onto the board compared to just 10 from the Timberwolves.

To start the first offensive drive Austin Brenner connected on a 31-yard pass to Wooldridge who finally found the endzone.

Running back Larry Martin found the endzone on the next drive from 11 yards out to secure his second touchdown of the game.

Finally, the Timberwolves would get their second touchdown of the game as they recovered a fumble in the endzone.

The Eagles would answer twice more as the next time they would put points on the board would come from wideout Login Bolin for an 88 yard catch and run.

The Eagle defense next forced a turnover on downs to give them the ball back. Running back Eli Potts would be the next to score as he found the endzone from four yards out.

The final half stats showcased Brenner with 306 yards and two touchdowns, Bolin with 143 yards and a touchdown, and Wooldridge with 81 yards and a touchdown.

The running attack recorded six touchdowns on the ground. Washington with two, Martin with two, Niss with one, and Potts with one.

Ayers led the Eagle defense with nine tackles, three tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles, and two sacks.

On special teams redshirt freshman A.J. Rhodes hit eight extra points in the victory.

The next time the Eagles play comes next Saturday, Oct. 8, with kickoff set for 12 p.m.