Deb Miller Field to host first event

After years of waiting the new softball field will host its first event

Gage Eldridge

Deb Miller Field finished construction earlier this year in hopes to kickoff events in the 2022-2023 academic year.

Ethan Jenkins, Reporter

Since the 1960s Ashland University’s softball team has been playing off campus, away from the eagle community. This past summer that all changed, as AU constructed a brand new field for the team, right next to Tomassi Stadium at Donges Field used by the baseball team.

The first event at the new facility will be held on Saturday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m., as the field will be dedicated to Deb Miller and a celebration of all 180 donors. All 180 donors will be recognized, but Bob and Jan Archer, Dan and Brenda Niss, Deborah Liebert Karl, Jack and Deb Miller, and Sue Welch will all be specifically honored for their majority contributions.

Deb Miller Field at Archer Ballpark Complex, is not subject to rainouts like a typical ballpark, as the artificial turf field will now allow the ladies to play throughout the falling rain. Sophomore outfielder, Lauren McMillan had her first turf burn incident on the new field, but didn’t grimace and smiled through it knowing she finally had a high-quality field to play on, day in and day out. 

The first official game on Deb Miller Field will take place in February of 2023, but an alumni game will take place following the field dedication to “break in” the new field. Over 30 members of the past AU softball teams are expected to attend and check out the unblemished field.