AU Tennis tournament ends prematurely due to rain

AU women’s and men’s tennis impress in first tournament

Sophomore Claudia Adcock practices in hopes to have a stellar 2nd-year for the women’s tennis team.

Cade Cracas, Sports & Digital Editor

After months of preparation, preseason scrimmages, and practices, the AU men’s and women’s tennis teams lost out on the back half of their season-opening tournament due to rain.

They traveled to West Virginia for West Virginia Wesleyan’s Bobcat Invitational that occurred on Sept. 9th and 10th.

Before the rain ended their tournament the men’s squad was looking impressive. Freshmen William Rassat and Gabriel Seminario performed well with Rassat making his way to the semifinals of the A flight while Seminario was up 2-0 in the second set in the quarterfinals. Another freshman, Reid Opel, also made his way to the semifinals but in the G Flight.

Another semifinal appearance came from sophomore Omar Prince who made his way to the semifinals in the D Flight.

The women’s team saw freshman Ana Penteado, freshman Anna Corbel, and sophomore Claudia Adcock advance to the semi-finals as well. Penteado got to the semis in A Flight, Corbel in B Flight, and Adcock in C Flight.

The sophomore and freshman duo of Adcock and Corbel were able to make their way to the finals of the B Flight in doubles play.

Although they were rained out, both the women’s and men’s teams looked poised to take a massive leap in their 2022-2023 campaign.

The men’s team steps back onto the court on Sept. 17th at the ITA Regionals in Indiana. The women on the other hand return to action on Sept. 24th in the ITA Regionals but in Grand Rapids, Mich.