Two Eagles named 2021-2022 Student-Athlete of the Year

Volleyball star Erin Krupar and Olympian Trevor Bassitt voted 2021-2022 SAOTY

Ethan Jenkins, Reporter

Every athletic year each athletic program on the campus of Ashland University may nominate a junior or senior student-athlete for the Student-Athlete of the Year award.

From the 2021-22 season, the two winners are from the volleyball and the men’s track and field programs. Erin Krupar and Trevor Bassitt were selected by the Athletic Committee, which is made up of faculty and staff members that are not within the athletic department.

AU volleyball player Erin Krupar. She currently sits at No. 5 in AU history with 1,473 kills in her fifth year.

Krupar had an outstanding season for the Volleyball team, including being recognized as the Great Midwest Athletic Conference Player of the Year. Her 504 kills during 31 matches ranked number 2 in all of Division II, and in addition, she added 24 service aces, 56 blocks, and 302 digs during the 2021 campaign. Outstanding athletes are something the University and community of Ashland pride themselves on, but there may be no more outstanding athletes with a longer resume than former men’s track athlete, Trevor Bassitt.

Trevor Bassitt stands infront of the Eagle faithful in the opening football game of the 2022 season. Bassitt stands with a silver and bronze medal around his neck. (Wesley Seyfang)

Bassitt had an incredible senior year last season with an extensive list of accomplishments. He took home 4 NCAA Division II national titles and was named 2021-22 GMAC Male Athlete of the year, and USTFCCCA Division II Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Year. The list goes on and on for Bassitt’s achievements and honors from the 2021-22 season, but his most recent accomplishment was capturing the Bronze medal in the men’s 400 hurdles event in the Outdoor World Championships this past summer. Bassitt has now won the Ashland Student-Athlete of the Year award in back-to-back seasons.

Krupar and Bassitt will be honored at the Ashland University Student-Athlete of the Year recognition on Oct. 22 at 9:30 a.m. in the John C. Myers Convocation Center Faculty Room.