THE RESULTS ARE IN

Sims wins Student Body President

Sims%2C+ready+to+spread+positivity+in+her+new+role.+

SUBMITTED BY: TIFFANY SIMS

Sims, ready to spread positivity in her new role.

Sean Repuyan, Design Editor

The ballots have been counted and the spring 2022 Student Senate election results are in.

Junior Tiffany Sims won the popular vote as the next student body president for the 2022-2023 academic year.

“I’m really excited for next year to be full of positivity,” Sims said in a statement following the announcement. “I am super grateful to be elected and for all of the support and help I have received the past couple of weeks.”

Sims, alongside her fellow executive officers, will be officially sworn in during the next Student Senate meeting on Tuesday, April 12 at 9:30 p.m. in the conference rooms of the Hawkins-Conard Student Center.

She expressed her excitement in getting to work with her fellow senators next year and to accomplish their goals as a student government.

“I am so excited to be working with such exceptional people and to represent the student body as best as we can,” she added.

Fellow candidate and freshman Kayin McDonald congratulated Sims on her successful campaign and expressed gratitude for a healthy presidential race.

“I truly wasn’t expecting to win. To me, it was more for the experience,” McDonald said. “I am not unhappy with the results and am hopeful [Sims] will be able to appoint me to any of the various positions still open after elections.”

McDonald followed with his plans to run in the next elections with the knowledge he gained from the recent race.

“I hope to be able to focus on other plans including a reform in Student Senate functions,” he added.

Fellow presidential candidate Reina Britt was unavailable for a comment on the election results following attempts to reach out through email.

2022-2023 EXECUTIVE OFFICERS

Although many positions continue to remain vacant within Student Senate, here are the current results for 2022-2023 AU Undergraduate Student Senate:

– John Miller elected as Executive Vice President
– Anna Bielawski elected as Executive Officer of Judicial Affairs
– Ann Torkelson elected as Executive Officer of Finance & Facilities
– Mckenna Perrigan elected as Executive Officer of Academic Affairs
– Heath Johnston elected as Executive Officer of Student Life

2022-2023 OFFICERS OF THE SENATE

– Carolina Amparo elected as Junior Class President
– Ethan Wolford elected as Junior Class Vice President
– Isaac Davis elected as Sophomore Class President
– Skylar Phillians elected as Sophomore Class Vice President
– Alexis Pesicek elected as College of Business and Economics Representative
– Daniella Engelmann elected as College of Nursing and Health Sciences Representative
– Zachary Scher elected as College of Arts & Sciences Representative
– Kyleen Culler elected as Officer of Greek Life