STUNT team excited to tumble into a new season

Brayden Creveling, Reporter

The Ashland University STUNT team is eager to open the 2022 season, after only competing in one competition in 2021.

“Last year was all about fighting for our season to even have a practice or anything,” Head Coach Deneiese Farnsworth said. “They’ve taken it up a notch and learned a lot from last year. This year they’ve taken it above and beyond….they’re very strong, physically fit and getting the job done.”

The stunt team will open up their season against Kentucky University on March 12. Even though Kentucky has over double the student population of Ashland, Farnsworth and her team are up for the challenge.

“Kentucky is the capital of cheerleading, they are the biggest and the best,” Farnsworth said. “To open up our season there is intimidating and intense but the goal is to be the best so we have to beat the best….we’re excited to hold our own and be successful as a team.”

On March 19, the Eagles will host their first home competition in STUNT team history. They plan to host Ursuline College and Michigan University. The team plans to participate in 14 competitions, hosting 6 of them.

Before attending a competition in Kates Gymnasium, here’s some things to know about the growing sport:

It is driven by sideline cheerleading, but without all the chants, cheers and dances. Instead, it focuses on technical skills like tumbling, jumps, and stunting.

STUNT is played in four-quarters, where two teams compete in the same routine. It happens spontaneously and the team with the least amount of errors wins. Each quarter is dedicated to a different routine.

There are three positions on a STUNT squad. There are flyers, bases, and tumblers.

Farnsworth knows that the season will be long, but she is confident that the wisdom of the STUNT’s “Leadership Team” will guide her squad of 27 girls.

This group consists of Ashley Amstutz, Shila Hartzler, Karlee Rice, Mariah McArthur and Jalyn Allen.

“McArthur and Allen are the only seniors on this team so they’ve been in this program for awhile,” Farnsworth said. “All those girls are the backbone of this team but we look to Jayln and Mariah for strength and wisdom.”

Experience is nothing new to Farnsworth. She is in her fifth year as the AU cheer and dance coach. She is certified to officiate collegiate STUNT competitions and is also USA high school cheerleading rules certified.

It is not typical to see coaches at a collegiate level take officiating classes for their respective sport, but Farnsworth wanted to gain a better knowledge of the sport.

“I [officiated] for two seasons and it was a big eye opener for me,” Farnsworth said. “I saw the technical side of what officials are looking at and it’s been nothing but beneficial.”

Farnsworth added that “it’s a whole different view,” and even though she is not officiating, she still takes the test to keep her knowledge sharp on that aspect of the game.

STUNT is only available at a collegiate level in Ohio, but it is a trending sport for females and only expected to get bigger.

“It is very competitive and you can clearly see that head on if you come to a competition,” Farnsworth said. “It is just like any other regular sport.”