Course offerings pique student interests

Zoe Bogarty, Reporter

Course registration is a time of the school year. Preparing to either be accepted or rejected from the courses students want to take and having several backup courses just in case something goes askew.
Not only is the spring semester the beginning of a new year on campus, but it is also the start of many interesting courses offered in person or online. Registration began Nov. 1 and will continue until Nov. 15.
Several spring courses have decided to take a global perspective on what is being taught, either through film, social media, or sports.
“Global Perspectives in Sport is a course that examines sport and tourism as a global phenomenon,” Lance Kaltenbaugh, professor of sports management said. “The course examines the cultural, economic, political and social elements of sport and tourism as applied through a business and consumer perspective.”
Lance Kaltenbau and Maura Grady, professor of Global Film, talked about the different aspects of each of their courses that made them interesting.
“The Global Film class is designed to have variable themes,” Grady said. “So next semester when I teach it, it’s going to be on German film. With the theme being Germany, we look at several important films that help us understand German culture.”
Professor of Global Impact of Social Media, David McCoy, began teaching this class in the spring semester of 2012. While approaching the tenth anniversary, the class has adapted over the years to stay on top of all upcoming and updated social media websites.
“It’s changed somewhat since the spring of 2012,” he said. “I’m constantly updating it because there are new social media that are being employed. Some that weren’t even here ten years ago, some that are very proprietary to some countries, and some that we don’t even use here in the United States.”
Taking a different approach, Louis Mancha, department chair of philosophy, offered a class that serves as dual credit for honors students and those who would like to learn more about science and human nature.
Science as a Cultural Force is an inquiry course that will be taught within the philosophy department as well as within the chemistry department for different perspectives.
“The instructors for this semester will be William Vaughn, along with me in the philosophy department,” Mancha said. “And Jeffrey Weidenhamer, so you get two well-known faculty members on campus. I think it’s going to be a great opportunity for students to see two different faculties from two different disciplines to interact.”
Most of these courses are offered every spring semester with limited seats. All of them are offered to both majors and nonmajors as well as those with pure interests.