College Democrats and College Republicans speak on campus involvement

Wes Seyfang

Wes Seyfang

Owen McManus is a senior in the Ashbrook program and the President of the College Democrats at AU.

Gracie Wilson, Collegian Managing Editor

The Ashland University campus is home to a variety of clubs and organizations that students can join. Among these are political organizations that help shape the minds and views of students making their way through college.

The College Republicans and College Democrats are two groups that serve the campus and the community through their work, their ideas and their influence.

Adrianne Silva is an Ashbrook Scholar and the president of the College Republicans, striving to create an environment where she could ask students the hard questions and get a feel for their political thoughts.

“My role as president of the College Republicans ranges from preparing and leading discussion-based educational meetings with our members, to supervising and delegating tasks that I assign to my executive board,” Silva said. “Additionally, I work as a liaison between other political clubs on campus.”

One of these clubs is the College Democrats, led by Owen McManus, a senior Ashbrook Scholar.

McManus aims to bring the goals of the organization to fruition through his leadership and experience.

“What we’re really trying to do is spur discussion and interest of politics on campus,” he said. “Really anyone can come to our meetings, we just want more people to be involved in the process and discussion.”

No matter the political view or affiliation, both leaders want to welcome students to their club to hear more about the ideals of politics and inspire them to form their own opinions as well.

Under the student leadership of Silva, the College Republicans aim for outreach to the AU community.

“As a leader on our campus I get to hear first-hand the outreach and impact that we have on people,” she said. “We have the largest active member base of the political clubs on campus, and additionally, practice constant outreach without nonmembers in our Ashland University community.”

Using discussion as a told for improvement, both groups join together to speak about what is happening in their world and talk about what they can do to make a difference in it.

Being a part of the Ashbrook program has also allowed Silva and McManus the tools they feel they need to be successful in their roles.

“Even if we don’t agree with our other classmates, it’s like an iron sharpens iron type of thing where they’re smart students even if I don’t agree with them,” McManus said. “And its good because it fosters this culture of respect and disagreement where we can argue with each other, and we don’t get mad at each other and I’m pretty proud of that.”