Ashbrook Center hosts its 34th annual memorial dinner

Mackenzie Pflum, Reporter

The Ashbrook Center at Ashland University will host its 34th Ashbrook Memorial Dinner on October 18, 2021, in the John C Convocation Center.

The Ashbrook Memorial Dinner is the Ashbrook Center’s single largest fundraising event of the year that helps to raise money for Ashbrook scholarships each year.

The memorial dinners have been a tradition on Ashland’s campus since 1983 when former President Ronald Reagan was invited to inaugurate the event, and it has been held every year since then with significant public figures in attendance.

Executive director of The Ashbrook Center, Jeffery Sikkenga, explained how the speaker is decided on each year saying, “We always try to find a significant public figure, and obviously being the former president of the United States is fairly significant. And along with that, someone who has had experience in public affairs, will really be beneficial for the students to engage with, ask questions, and hear their thoughts on things. It’s also about finding someone who will have an appeal to the general public.”

This year’s guest speaker is former Vice President, Mike Pence, who will also be receiving the Ashbrook award. The award is given in honor of John Ashbrook, the founder of the Ashbrook Center.

Not every guest speaker that is invited receives this award, but because Pence exudes the qualities that are sought after in a recipient. Specifically someone with some public status that has made significant contributions to the general public.

“We wanted to recognize former Vice President Pence for his contributions to American public life,” said Sikkenga

Ashbrook students will have the opportunity to meet and discuss with Mike Pence for an “off the record” Q & A session, which The Director of Student Programs, Ben Kunkle, says he looks forward to each year.

“I always enjoy being a fly on the wall for these conversations and seeing what questions the students have. The Ashbrook Scholars are very diverse in their opinions, and their questions generally reflect that, but they always do a wonderful job of asking questions in a polite, but direct way, even when they disagree with the political opinions of the speaker.”

Kunkle and Sikkenga expect the students and attendees at this event to have a very enjoyable and enlightening experience Monday evening.