Local business spotlight of the week: Whit’s Frozen Custard

Nate Powalie, Sports Columnist

A frozen custard east coast chain is making itself a piece of the Ashland community. 

Whit’s, located at 1220 Claremont Avenue, is housed inside what used to be a bank building and is within walking distance of Ashland University, other businesses, shops, neighborhoods, and the Ashland County fairgrounds, according to their website. 

The remnants of the original bank building include a vault, which as their website notes, “remains in place and has become quite the conversation piece. Many customers ask if that is where we keep our secret recipes!” 

Their mission is to provide fresh flavors on site daily. And they let their customers create whatever they want to satisfy their needs. 

For one particular customer, their product draws a rave review.

“Whit’s is a very delicious and rich custard,” AU chef supervisor Christine Litten said. “It’s a consistent product, and it’s really good. 

The custard also is involved in what is known as a Whittie sandwich.

Whittie of the Month is a sandwich consisting of a specialty flavor of custard sandwiched between two cookies. 

Schedule Whittie for the rest of the 2021 calendar year:

October: S’mores; S’mores Cookies with vanilla custard and chocolate drizzle

November: Buckeye Madness; Buckeye Madness custard, put between two peanut butter cookies

December: Candy Cane; Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies w/ Candy Cane flavored custard

More details about featured flavors can be found online at https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e765b4c27758651114287b9/t/6154d3f9b8fc9005a8ee9d29/1632949242923/Ashland+OH+October+Daily+Flavor+Calendar.pdf.

Whit’s is currently located in ten states across the eastern United States, and the Ashland, Ohio location makes their customers feel like a part of their family. 

And through the COVID pandemic, they’ve managed to keep a steady flow of business, even with adjustments and new protocols.

“We’ve been actively wearing masks and gloves more than we’ve used to,” manager Melissa Young said. “We have been succeeding with our drive-through business, but one struggle that we have come across is a shortage of employees.”

Due to the shortage, the inside of the location is closed, and the hours have been shortened.

Whit’s is normally open from 11:30 AM to 8 PM Sunday through Thursday, and from 11:30 AM to 9 PM on Friday and Saturday, and they can be reached via phone at (419) 903-0087. Due to the current worker shortage, its current hours are 4 to 8 PM Sunday-Thursday, and 4-9 PM Friday-Saturday.

Whit’s is becoming a valuable piece to the Ashland community and draws customers from both the city and AU students alike.