Coronavirus Update: Oct. 8

Mackenzie Pflum, Reporter

In the past couple of weeks, there have been many COVID-19 updates involving numbers, testing, and vaccinations at Ashland University.

This week, two big COVID-19 events have been added to the list.

On October 27, AU will hold one last vaccine clinic in Redwood Hall. Students can receive their second dose of the shot, receive the booster dose if eligible, or receive their first dose but will need to find another source for their second dose.

Following the vaccine clinic, on November 1 and 2, after homecoming and before Thanksgiving break, Ashland University will be holding two campus wide COVID-19 test days. Every student will need to attend one of the two days regardless of vaccination status.

The only exemptions that will be accepted is if a student would have a previous positive result. Students are able to get tested anytime between 9 a.m to 7 p.m in the designated testing site behind the veterans center.

According to Elise Riggle, Coronavirus response coordinator, after last week being the first week of testing with reprimands for not attending, there were 334 written warnings sent out to students who failed to get tested.

Riggle also noted that if you miss a testing day on Monday 9-7, you can do a make-up test on Tuesday 10-5 every week until Christmas break to avoid getting reprimanded.

If anyone is experiencing symptoms or has medical related questions, Riggle requests that you contact the health center and do not email her, as she can not answer your questions.

Focusing on this week, there were 11 new COVID cases on campus. There are 39 active cases, but only three on campus. 45 students are in quarantine due to contract tracing, but only two of those students are on campus. For all this information and more, you can visit the COVID-19 dashboard on the AU website.