IFC and Panhel strive for ‘These Hands Don’t Haze’

The logo for AU Fraternity and Sorority Life social media.

Submitted by: Ashland University FSL

Sean Repuyan, Design Editor

Ashland University and the Fraternity and Sorority Life (FSL) Community have made it clear that they do not condone hazing and never will. 

With the recent hazing incidents at Bowling Green State University (BGSU) and Virginia Commonwealth University, the Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Council have strongly recommended that the chapters on campus have discussions about hazing and ways that they can combat it. 

During the fall semester of the academic year, IFC and the Panhellenic Council typically hold an anti-hazing week which results in “These Hands Don’t Haze” on Instagram. Instead, the councils believed the matter needed to be addressed immediately. 

A statement was released on Instagram regarding the incidents at BGSU and Virginia Commonwealth along with an Instagram story thoroughly explaining the FSL Community’s ideals and zero tolerance hazing policy. 

“We are a haze-free community and strive to keep it that way,” AU FSL said in the Instagram post. 

AU FSL’s Instagram is run by IFC Director of Marketing, Matthew Plumb, and Panhellenic Director of Public Relations and Marketing, Hailee Pogue. 

Following the story on Instagram, both councils recommended that members of the FSL Community post about this issue on their own personal accounts, speaking out about why they do not condone hazing personally. 

IFC and the Panhellenic Council believe all FSL voices should be heard and anti-hazing policies should be a priority. 

In a message to the entire FSL Community concerning the strong stand against hazing, the councils finished with the statement, “We are here to help you, and always will be.”