Should Crimson Cup have replaced Starbucks?

Crimson+Cup+is+located+in+Hawkins-Conard+Student+Center.+

Chante Rutherford

Crimson Cup is located in Hawkins-Conard Student Center.

Hannah Witteman

This semester Ashland University replaced Starbucks Coffee with another company called Crimson Cup. Honestly, I’m sure how to feel about it and it seems like a lot of people are on the same page. 

I’d like to say that I’m pretty laid back when it comes to my coffee, but something just doesn’t seem right about this new place at Nest. 

At first, I thought that maybe I just needed to get used to not having Starbucks at the palm of my hand, but, after talking to a couple of other students, there are definitely some mixed feelings.

My first order was a medium iced caramel macchiato and I ended up throwing it out after my first couple of sips. It tasted like the ingredients were old or cheap.

Usually whenever I get this drink I can taste both the caramel and coffee and the world is great, but not this time.

Other students have also noticed the change in taste of the drink options.

“The coffee has a very burnt taste. It seems like when they are making it, it sits too long and they don’t ever change it. When I drink the iced coffee from this brand it tastes old and bland” Junior Lyra Lawson said. 

I also feel that, because students are the main customers, we should have had a say in the changes at Nest. If they needed to cut the menu due to money issues we should have been notified about changes. 

The school could have also sent out a survey to see what students liked and disliked and gone from there instead of just changing everything at once. 

A lot of people, including some of my friends, also feel the same.

“It was a big change and none of the students had the chance to attest or agree with the change” Senior Taelor Norris said. 

This change took a huge turn and I think for the worst. As a commuter I loved being able to go to Nest, sit with my friends and order something to drink, but now I don’t even want to go anymore. 

There were also huge changes to the menu. There are way less options now than there were before, and again, I think that students should have been aware before coming back from break. 

No matter what students were going to be upset about the change, but at least if we knew before we wouldn’t feel as surprised when we came back.

“I use the majority of my swipes on the cafe usually, and that is definitely not the case this semester. I would honestly rather use my excess money to go to Vines and get better quality coffee or teas” Lawson said. 

I can’t speak for all AU students, but I do feel like the school could have done better when making changes to the coffee options on campus and letting students know that there will be changes made.