Alpha Phi holds virtual 5k for Black History Month

Submitted by: Abby McDonald

Alpha Phi sorority is holding a 5k for their philanthropy and for Black History Month.

Katie Foster, Reporter

Alpha Phi Sorority is hosting a virtual 5k for black history month from Feb. 26 to Feb. 28. 

“This event is open to everyone,” Abby McDonald, Junior social work and spanish major, said. 

McDonald said the purpose of this event is to get the word out about the newly added department of diversion, equity, and inclusion and they also want people to know Alpha Phi is doing their best to try and create change within their chapter. 

“We just wanted to let that community on campus and the Ashland community know that we will support them,” she said. 

All of the proceeds will go to the Association of Black Cardiologists (ABC). Alpha Phi’s philanthropy is cardiac health, so they believed this would be the perfect association to give back to the black community, she said.

Proceeds from the walk will benefit the Association of Black Cardiologists (Submitted by: Abby McDonald)

“A big proponent of having a virtual 5k is you can do it anywhere at any time,” McDonald said. 

She said there will be a hashtag, #blackhistoryrun2021, made for the 5k so people can post selfies or pictures of where they are running so they can show they completed it. Make sure to tag @alphaphi_au or @au_fsl in the post as well. 

“Even if Alpha Phi sisters are not participating, they are still supporting the event,” McDonald said. 

All of the women within the sorority are doing their part to ensure this event turns out the best it can from posting on social media and getting the word out to actually participating in the event. 

“Registration ended yesterday at midnight,” McDonald said. 

If you did not register in time, you are still encouraged to complete a 5k and use the hashtag to show your support, McDonald said. If there are any questions, email Abby McDonald @[email protected].