Faculty senate discusses budget deficit

Faculty went over issues such as the budget deficit and formation of two “working groups”.

Enrollment shortfalls across Ashland University programs are pushing the 2023 budget deficit higher and two groups are looking at ways to close the gap, AU President Dr. Carlos Campo told the Faculty Senate on Friday Dec. 9.

Campo said the deficit, projected to be $2.7 million for the 2023 budget year, could be pushing up to $4 million, when pressed by faculty questions later in the meeting.

“We have been working toward closing our budget deficit for 2023,” Campo stated. “But unfortunately, enrollment in everything from undergraduate to transfers to graduate programs and even the correctional institution actually moved the budget deficit in the wrong direction.”

Campo said two working groups – one academic and the other non-academic – which will by January, “Make some structural changes that we have discussed for some time to have an immediate and long-term effect to assist in the deficit.”

The announcement of the deficit’s growth and formation of two working groups concerned several members of the Faculty Senate.

Dr. Diane Bonfiglio, Psychology and Social Work and Family Studies, voiced concerns over the working groups by asking, “Who specifically comprised both of these working groups?”

Chair of Art and Design, Dan McDonald, questioned the timeline of the budget deficit as he asked, “What would we assume the additional deficit is and when was it realized?” and, “Why would we wait until January to make a decision?”

Campo then answered these questions beginning with the concerns over the working groups and date in which the new deficit was realized.

“These groups are meeting already,” Campo said. “The information that came to these groups was Nov. 28. That gives you the sense of the timeline as it’s all very new information for us and to be clear, reductions will be in process nearly immediately.”

The answer to Dr. Bonfiglio’s question was soon addressed in the chat of a zoom call which detailed who the working groups are composed of.

The academic working group is led by AU Provost Dr. Amiel Jarstfer, Dr. Daniel Fox, interim dean of the College of Business and Economics, and Dr. Gregory McBrayer, director of Core Curriculum and assistant professor of Political Science. This created concerns as only one actual faculty member is present in the group.

The non-academic working group is led by Rick Ewing, vice president of Operations and Planning, Marc Pasteris, vice president and Chief Financial Officer, and Dr. Daniel Sullivan, associate professor of Entrepreneurship.

Bonfiglio soon continued to challenge the notion of the deficit stating, “The people who are most in charge of this know that our deficit is more than $2.7 million yet cannot tell us what it actually is.”

The best estimate, according to Campo, is, “Closer to a $3.7 million or possibly even a $4 million deficit.”

With the estimates being revealed after much discussion, Campo detailed ideas for corrections which were met with negative responses from Senate members as well.

Possible ideas included not running courses face-to-face for classes of 15 students or under, a 25% increase in class caps in the Spring semester, eliminating some coaching staff or eliminating athletic scholarships for students.

While not guaranteed as of yet, Campo noted these measures “Are certainly something to be considered and are likely to move forward.”