Ashland University Student Senate represents students

Striving for more influence from student body

SEAN REPUYAN

The Ashland University Student Senate meets every Tuesday evening at 9:30 p.m. in the second- floor conference rooms in the Hawkins-Conard Student Center

Sean Repuyan, Design Editor

Anna Bielawski, freshman officer of religious life, asks the student senators to bow their heads in prayer before every Ashland University Student Senate meeting.
“We pray that You guide us into healthy discussion and a deeper understanding of each other and our goals to serve and represent the student body,” Bielawski said.
The meeting begins.

AU STUDENT SENATE

The Student Senate at Ashland University is meant to represent and serve the student body, both on and off campus.
Currently, the senate is led by President Yosolajesu Olujide-Ajibade and advised by Dr. Robert Pool, vice president of student affairs.
According to Pool, student governments began at a time around the 60s and 70s when colleges and universities were changing and students were asking for more freedoms.
“Students drive the agenda,” Pool said. “I meet with student leaders to talk about the future and its best possible outcomes. We imagine the reality we want to go into with goals, objectives and strategies.”
Pool notes imagination as the starting point for making change happen, however he also acknowledges the other side of imagining a student’s own AU experience.
“Most of the time we hear about the complaints and about what is wrong,” he continued. “It’s easier to speak about anger and what’s missing, but we must specify dreams and not be bound by time.”
Pool added, “Oftentimes we get caught up with the tasks of the day, but it’s important to remember that only you can live your life.”
Sophie Mowry newly transitioned into the executive vice president position from executive officer of student affairs. She heeds Pool’s words, especially with all that she has on her plate.
On top of student government, Mowry divides her time between student teaching with her Integrated Social Studies major, the Ashbrook Program and Young Americans for Liberty, all while currently living off-campus.
“Although I love being involved, it’s difficult being off-campus,” Mowry said. “I help my focus on the senate by remembering this is for the students of AU, acting as a voice for the entire student body.”

SPRING 2022 ELECTIONS

However, as the 2022 spring semester elections begin, Mowry says the student government is not yet a full senate, with many positions being unrepresented including athletic and international affairs, as well as various residence halls and colleges.
“I believe we are misrepresented and need more diversity from other programs and colleges,” Mowry added.
According to both Mowry and Pool, AU Student Senate is primarily made up of Ashbrook Scholars.
“It is a strength to have Ashbrooks engaged,” Pool said. “But too much of anything can detract from the purpose of the goal.”
“We want more opportunities for the student body to get involved,” Mowry added.
The Student Senate recently hosted a Student Speak-Up on March 2 where students freely voiced their concerns and issues directly to AU administration, including AU President Carlos Campo who was able to speak directly to the student body.
This was the first time in a while, which according to Mowry is most likely due to the coronavirus pandemic, that the university held an event for administration to work with students and provide a platform for discussion.
Now, as the spring semester continues into spring elections for the senate, Mowry and many of her other senators are pushing for student involvement.
Junior John Miller, executive officer for judicial affairs, is hoping to get more student interest in the various vacant positions.
According to Miller, elections take place April 4-5, with election packets being open March 14 through March 28.
Students must get 20 signatures from constituents, or 50 signatures for an executive board position, in order to fill out packets for an election ballot.
The student body votes in senators, votes are tallied by committee and senators are sworn in during the first senate meeting following elections.
“The rest of the semester serves as a ‘changing of the guard,’ providing training for the newly elected senators,” Miller explained. “I am looking forward to these upcoming elections and seeing how they go.”
“We encourage anyone who is interested to reach out and attend our meetings every Tuesday evening,” he added.
Miller has been involved with the senate since his freshman year. He explains that serving in the senate is great for leadership skills, honing networking abilities and most importantly, listening.
“At the end of the day, student senate has meant a lot,” he concluded. “It has helped me grow as a leader and person. We encourage anyone to try and make an impact on this campus.”