New Eagles watched their first football game ever

Students and fans in the stadium during the game

Frozen

After 10 months of waiting, football season is back at AU and new international students can experience this American-based sport for the first time in their life.

“I am more than excited to watch Eagles football in the stadium. I’ve known this game since I was in Taiwan and today, me and my friends [can] finally watch this,” Kevin Peng, international transfer student, said.

No. 23 Ashland University hosted No. 16 Indianapolis Greyhounds in Jack Miller Stadium on Sept. 5. The Indianapolis came back in the second half and beat the Eagles 24-9.

“Although we lost the home opening, most of us did not leave early. It is not just the game itself, the atmosphere attracts me more. The local audience gave us the feeling of home,” Peng said.

Other than the football game itself, support from the audience surprised the students who stepped into the Jack Miller Stadium for the first time.

“I was shocked that most of the local audience were wearing the Ashland shirt which gave us a feeling that the athletes are together with us. It definitely promoted the atmosphere in the field and also gave the opponent a shock,” Freshman Xiaoxing Ou said.

In the second half, the temperature fell under 55 degrees but the audience was still enthusiastic.

“It was really cold at the second half while sitting on the stands., but there were still some students coming in the stadium to support the team- especially Eagles. Other than that, there was a fan camera to project the fans on the big screen. I think it is the community and school together that makes the game perfect,” Ou said.

Ashland junior kicker, Satchel Denton, made boots of 41, 36 and 26 yards to give the Eagles a 9-0 lead halfway through the second quarter, but Indianapolis adjusted their defense since then and broke up the eagle’s offense team in the second half.

The next home game will be Sept. 21 when the Ashland Eagles will host Ferris State at 7 p.m. in the Jack Miller Stadium.