Performing arts programs hosts event for high school students

Hannah Predojev

Ashland University’s music and theatre departments are hosting an event for all high school students who are passionate about the performing arts.

Thomas Reed, the chair of the music and theatre departments, explained that this is the second consecutive year that the event has included music in the agenda. Initially, the theatre department came up with the idea for the event in the fall of 2013, which was formerly known as “Discover Your Passion.” Then, in 2014, it was hosted again, but due to loss of faculty in 2015, the program was not continued until 2016.

The music and theatre department are hosting an event called “Pursue Your Passion,” where high school students from all over the country have the opportunity to attend various workshops, view a live performance of the Greek drama, “The Trojan Women”, be entertained by the AU marching band, meet the faculty and engage with students, as well as take a tour of the campus, eat in the dining hall and even spend the night on campus. Overall, students can select two of the activities offered.

High school students who attend the event do not have to have any prior experience, although it would be to their benefit if they participated in something along these lines.

Additionally, while there will be no auditions held at the “Pursue Your Passion” event, once one gets admitted to AU, one will have to audition to become a music major.

Typically, auditions are held in front of a panel of judges, and one will perform a song or two. While students may be apprehensive to perform during the audition process, Reed encourages all individuals to relax, do their best, and remember that everyone is just as nervous as the person on stage.

In theatre, one does not have to audition in order to declare this their major; ultimately, auditions are for productions only.

“As you prepare for your performances, if you prepare thoughtfully, that is where the real growth comes,” Reed said.

He elaborated on why AU’s campus is a good fit for those interested in hands-on, artistic careers.

“Ashland has a really good atmosphere for being involved with music and theatre,” Reed said. “Our size is fairly small, but we have a lot of activities, so students can get a lot of experience and meet a lot of other students with similar interests.”

While Reed believes that individuals who plan to pursue a career in the music or theatre industry need to have the passion for the field, but also to be open-minded. He offered additional advice to students.

“When you have an interest in something, check it out, get involved, and be active in different areas and activities to find your path and your passions,” Reed said.

The event is free and starts at 1 p.m. on Nov. 11. While registration for the event is officially closed, all high school students are encouraged to attend. For more information, contact 419-289-5821.