Living last year off-campus

By Brian Wells

I’ve lived on college campuses for three years. My first dorm room was a quad at the University of Toledo. My roommates were a wide array of people, from a religious Star Wars geek to a steroid-addicted, womanizing ex-baseball player to a black homosexual to myself, who, at the time, was a quiet video-game nerd.

I then transferred to AU the spring semester of my freshman year. The dorm life was entirely different – something was always happening on the seventh floor of Amstutz. I met one of my best friends living on that floor; we were often described as “the bad part of town.”

My sophomore year was the same. I was going to room with a friend I’d met the previous year, but he dropped out and I had the room to myself for the first semester.

It became quite the social spot. I always had people coming and going. It was a great opportunity to meet new people and make memories.

That following semester, I was paired with a new kid. His Facebook page made me think I wouldn’t like him, but he ended up being one of my closest friends. We both maintained a rather busy social life.

For my junior year, I moved into the fraternity circle. This was a nice change, because the Senior House was so quiet and conducive to my dreams of raising my GPA. I had all the space to myself, but I missed the social aspect.

Due to some lifestyle changes, I’ve moved off-campus this year. I’ve always wanted to and thought it would be great. However, it’s safe to say that I’ve never been so lonely.

Sure, it’s nice to have my own space in a peaceful atmosphere, but I miss being able to walk everywhere. I can’t get used to having to get up, get in my car, and commute to campus.

It’s almost too quiet. Sure, I still get to see all of my friends, but the nights are lonely. It’s strange not having a friend right down the hall. Commuter students get a weekly newsletter talking about happenings on campus, but they leave a lot to be desired. I’m also finding it harder and harder to keep my motivation to go to work and class.

As I said, it does have its advantages. I can stay up however late I want, I don’t have to worry about hiding my iguana from an RA, and I can have members of the opposite sex over at any time without having to have an escape plan.

The lonely nights also allow me for more study time. I already have a good feeling about this semester, and I’m excited to see how my first year as a commuter student is going to change me.