Sklar Brothers tag team for AU Homecoming

By Cody White

Ashland University will be seeing double while doubling over with laughter when the Sklar Brothers hit campus for Homecoming weekend this Friday, Oct. 1, at 8 p.m in Redwood Hall.

With a unique tag team style of delivery and an award-winning resumé of television appearances to boot, Randy and Jason Sklar will be coming off stand up gigs in California and a finished Web comedy series titled “Held Up” to perform for AU’s students, faculty and alumni, according to their official Web site.

Known for their Comedy Central special, their appearances on “Grey’s Anatomy,” “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” “Entourage” and their critically acclaimed ESPN Classic series “Cheap Seats,” the Sklar Brothers will bring a style of comedy not seen with any previous homecoming comedians.

“With the Sklar Brothers, you not only get one outstanding comic, but two outstanding comics who happen to be real life brothers,” said Allie Shuman, one of the Campus Activities Board (CAB) members who helped organize the Sklars’ appearance.

Shuman noted their back-and-forth banter as being standouts among other comedians.

“Just as you would expect with twins, they have seamless delivery: picking up the dialogue where the other left off, always finishing each other’s punchline,” she said.

Kim Wargo, another CAB member and Shuman’s event organizing partner, felt the Sklar Brothers stood out as a comedy act, just as Shuman and Director of Student Life Nicole Dyer did when they saw the Sklars perform at the National Association for Campus Activities last spring.

“Since they are the homecoming weekend comedians, we needed to make sure that we picked someone that was going to have people wanting to come to their show and I think we did a good job of that because they are well known and people couldn’t be more excited to come on Friday,” Wargo said.

“The Homecoming comedian is generally CAB’s biggest comedy event of the year,” Shuman said, “so we try to choose someone that would be recognizable to students and be hilarious.”

Both Shuman and Wargo agreed that the Sklar Brothers will draw a large crowd as a hilarious twin duo.

“As Allie and I were creating publicity for this event, we used the quote ‘Brotherly Love, Brotherly Comedy’ and we both feel as though that describes them quite well,” Wargo said.

“Their act is a really different type of comedy, involving fast-paced storytelling, witty comebacks and sound effects that make you think of your little brother,” Shuman said.

Both of them also expect a sellout crowd with attendance from several campus VIPs, including President Fred Finks and his wife Holly.

“Tickets have been sold for several weeks and we don’t anticipate having any to spare come the day of the show,” said Shuman, “so we strongly encourage students to pick up their free ticket in the Student Life Office as soon as possible.”

Tickets are still on sale for $15 General Admission, $10 AU Faculty/Staff, and free for students in advance only with a student ID.