Improved plans in place for Passages publication, professor says

By Ethan Greenberger

On Oct. 4, Ashland University’s student-produced literary magazine, Passages, hosted its first student reading of the year. Passages is a student publication of original student work in fiction, non-fiction and poetry created by students.

Passages editor-in-chief Javier Garcia-Wasnich talked about the direction in which Passages will be going this year.

“This year, the plan is that we will still be working with [Sigma Tau Delta] to do things such as the book sale [with the Ashland public library],” Garcia-Wasnich said.

“We hope to have at least one more unofficial reading this year that is not the senior reading,” he added.

After the success of their first reading, the Passages staff looks forward to more student and faculty readings throughout the year and possibly even this semester.

“We would like to get more faculty members that interact more on a one-to-one basis to read with us as well,” Garcia-Wasnich said.

Returning to the publication this year will be the acceptance of art submissions, both stand-alone and accompanying other works of prose or poetry.

“About four or five years ago [Passages] was still accepting artwork in the publication, but certain people graduated who had specialties in art and were working as the Passages art editor,” Garcia-Wasnich said.

“So, with them went the tradition of passages accepting artwork.”

According to Garcia-Wasnich, the group plans to accept artwork, but there will be some stipulations on that artwork.

For the artwork submissions, they must be in black and white and they must be submitted in a PDF file format.

“[Although] it will be represented in black and white only, hopefully this is a progression to integrate the arts department with the English department,” Garcia-Wasnich said.

For students interested in submitting pieces of original poetry, prose or artwork, submissions will be received electronically at [email protected]. Submissions are limited to 10 per person and may be of any assortment of genres. Submissions for all categories of work are due electronically no later than Nov. 24.