Patton remembered as hard worker, wonderful person

By Cody White

In a celebration and remembrance of her life and work, a memorial service was held for June Patton, the chair of the Department of Nursing, who died Aug. 19.

On Oct. 20 in the Jack and Deb Miller Chapel, a gathering of family, friends, colleagues and students congregated before the service, greeting each other in a warm and casual environment as a slideshow dedicated to Patton played.

Dr. Dawn Weber, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, began the service by acknowledging Patton’s career and achievements and how her friends and family have celebrated them in the past few months.

“When tragedy strikes, it is difficult to comprehend,” Weber said, noting the efforts to piece together Patton’s life and how the service would provide Patton’s family a glimpse into her professional life.

The service featured testimonials from those very close to Patton about her life and accomplishments as well as who she was as a person.

Ella Kick, former dean of the AU School of Nursing, taught Patton in one of her first classes at the University of Akron and learned firsthand about her leadership abilities.

“June was easy to remember,” Kick said, recalling Patton’s reference letters and the one thing that stood out most: Patton was a caring person.

“Her caring ability and her leadership made her such a good role model for nurses,” Kick said.

Aris Eliades, director of Nursing Education and Research at the Children’s Medical Center of Akron, knew Patton for 12 years as being straightforward, hardworking and caring, with a big heart.

Eliades often travelled with Patton to conferences for Sigma Tau Theta International, the honor society for nursing.

Noting her good nature and memorable laugh, Eliades quoted the Greek Orthodox Church, saying: “May her memory be everlasting.”

Capt. Joseph D. Parsons, of the 801st Combat Support Hospital and 2008 AU alum, took online courses with Patton while in service and told of how she met the Seven Army Values, including loyalty, respect and integrity.

“June encouraged me every day,” Parsons said, telling of the many care packages, emails and phone calls that she sent him regularly.

Thomas Kemp, director of Instructional Technology and Support, considered Patton a close friend during his time thus far at AU.

“I have never known AU without June Patton being here,” Kemp said.

He recalled her being the first dean to approach him when he started at AU and how she “dug in with both feet” to learn about the online teaching programs.

“My respect for her professionally grew every time that we met.,” he said, often receiving words of encouragement from her while appreciating her as someone who “embodied everything good about AU.”

Kemp also remembered the friendly bear hugs that he and Patton always shared; especially the one they had right before the accident.

“Our relationship started with a hello and a handshake and ended with a hug,” he said.

Jacqueline Owens, director of the Dwight Schar College of Nursing’s RN to BSN program, had the unique privilege of being Patton’s student only to become her colleague and close friend, as well.

According to Owens, she was in Patton’s senior level class in the last semester of her senior year and was ready to go to grad school when she told Patton outside of class that she was very interested in writing a grant.

It turned out that Patton also wanted to write a grant and agreed to help Owens, leaving a strong impression upon her.

Owens said that her ability to speak was brought out by Patton, who asked Owens to present with her at conferences and the like.

According to Owens, Patton was with her as she graduated, as she taught at AU and when she found out that she had cancer.

Owens said that this news made her cry for days just as she does now, but noted that Patton was a great friend to her through it all.

“She was with me every single step of the way,” Owens said. “She was my close friend”

Faye Grund, dean of the College of Nursing, presented the nursing lamp, inspired by historically famed nurse Florence Nightingale.

The lamp was set on a table surrounded by Patton’s awards, pictures of her, and many candles for the congregation to light, signifying Patton’s many contributions and the bright light she brought to so many peoples’ lives, Grund said.

Throughout the service, Owens’s daughter Lauren, 2010 AU alum, sang songs accompanied by Professor of Music Dr. Rowland Blackley.

These songs, as well as the hymn sung by the congregation, “I Was There To Hear Your Borning Cry,” carried a beautiful yet somber sorrow and reflected the loss of Patton and the hope for her legacy to live on.

Before College of Nursing Administrator Dr. Lori Brohm gave the closing prayer, Reverend Douglas Patton, June’s husband of 43 years, reminisced about being friends with her since the age of eight and how they came to appreciate God’s love together while moving past challenges by his grace.

“She was a very giving person and a forgiving person,” Rev. Patton said, noting his wife’s dedication to her family and friends and to the work that she’d practiced for years leading up to her final time as a professor.

“There are many bright spots in my memory and you here at AU are one of them,” he said.

Rev. Patton also noted that he was able to call his wife right before the accident at 2:30 p.m. that day.

“I so value that conversation,” he said.

As the service ended, everyone gathered for further remembrance and reflection of June Patton and her life of work and care, keeping at heart the poem which Grund read an excerpt from:

“A Lady with a Lamp shall stand, In the great history of the land, A noble type of good, Heroic womanhood.”