CAB’s Glow Dance Party a raving hit

By Cody White

In the frozen darkness that gripped the campus this past Saturday night, relief was found on the dance floor.

The Campus Activities Board (CAB), in their efforts to bring different and unique events to Ashland University, achieved something more than a typical dance; they nearly had a club scene rocking Redwood Hall down to its splinters.

Minus the factors that would cause Judeo-Christian values to crack under pressure, CAB’s Glow Dance Party took the ingredients of your average sock-hop shindig and supercharged them.

Black lights beamed out of galvanized steel structures, engulfing the aged interior with an entrancing glow.

Folding chairs were forgone in favor of phosphorescent furniture that was too plausibly comfortable to be plastic. The colors red, white and blue were conveniently shaped into free-formed seats and solid square center tables; what every hipster wants for his living room but would be too embarrassed to buy.

There were also indulgent piles of glow party paraphernalia: sticks, bands, pendants and paint for all the kids to appreciate.

The slightly curious picked a stick or two and adorned them on their wrists or around their necks. Meanwhile, the more daring snagged handfuls of shiny swag and fashioned gauntlets and full-body ensembles that would make Lady Gaga look conservative, if just for a second.

Glow-in-the-dark shutter shades were made available, too. If you could keep them on your face or prevent them from breaking mid-grind, you would run to every steel glow structure and hold them tauntingly to the lights, challenging them to power the shades with glowing shine.

All of these tight tchotchkes were merely props, though, for the night’s partying players to have as they acted out the audio action and dancing drama. A DJ duo from Illinois, easily mistakable for average shmoes in sunlight, had the college kids in the palm of their hand. Under a steel frame fit for pro wrestling, they shot Ke$ha and Souja Boy through the speakers and dropped Lil Jon and Run DMC onto the crowd, throwing them into explosive frenzies.

The typical black light attire of white tees and jeans was fairly prevalent, but that didn’t stop pajama pants, short shorts, sweater vests, tye-dye, knee socks and black tights from making appearances.

The frigid snow from outside would’ve melted into submission after a second of exposure to the mass heat generated by the rocking crowd. Freshmen, international students and anyone looking for a party mixed it up around the whole of the floor and even on stage; The DJs couldn’t kick the kids off fast enough.

It wasn’t a high school social and not quite a rave, but was certainly a much-needed source of winter relief for the student body and students’ bodies.