Some things just should not have a Facebook

By Tim Hawk

Whether it’s in between a few classes, or at the end of the day when we are relaxing in our room, all college students flip to Facebook and get their daily creep in. We all see who posted on our wall, what friends put pictures up from the night before and we all look to see who’s dirty enough to click the “OMG! She left her webcam on! See what happened!” and got their accounts hacked.

We also look for students in our class, and more importantly, who our friends are becoming friends with around campus. And there’s always that one friend request you know is coming for you that you dread. Today, I received the request I was going to hide from, one I’m sure most of you got too; the request from Eagle Nation.

After creeping on my possible friend I found out he/she/it is a self-proclaimed General of the “Eagle Army.” Having been to multiple games and events on campus, I have yet to run into Mr./Mrs./Dr. Nation, not because of the lack of excitement you’d expect at college sports, but because they don’t exist.

The same can be said for multiple groups and organizations around campus that have created Facebook profiles rather than pages. Everything from these self-entitled militant birds, to organizations and even departments around campus has a Facebook, but a line must be drawn sometime, and I say that time’s now.

I understand that groups use Facebook to get information out about games, events, and interest meetings, but there’s a more professional way of doing it: make a page. It’s more useful and easier to use, rather than passing around an email and password for you to log in. You still can use the same functions you already use, but you can use other helpful features as well.

For people in these organizations, do yourself a favor and upgrade to a page instead of a profile. As helpful as you may be sometimes, I won’t give any legitimacy to Ricky Rec and Eagle Nation until I run into them at a party.