AU junior enters school board race

By Kelsey Myers

Some students at Ashland spend what little spare time they have playing video games or sleeping. Jeff Pinnick, a junior with a major in business management and a minor in public affairs, has decided to use his free time to run for the Southeast Local School Board.

This is not Pinnick’s first venture into his district’s politics. He acted as social media director for the 2010 levy campaign, which pushed for the passing of a seven-million-dollar, five-year operating levy. This effort had failed twice in the past but with Pinnick’s help, it passed in November of 2010.

During the 2010 campaign, Pinnick was struck by the lack of communication between the school board and the community.

“The communities are footing the bill,” he said. “They should know what’s going on.”

Pinnick describes himself as a “straight shooter” who will be honest and open with the community about bad news as well as good news. He said that he is running “to ensure that every child in Southeast Local steps off on the right track” and “to be a partner in the education of our youth.” He also stressed the importance of the fact that his is “not a single-issue campaign.”

The issues Pinnick is facing may seem daunting to the average college student. His first priority is communication but his second is a long-term building plan.

“We have four elementary schools, approximately 60 to 120 years old. The high school was built around 1955.” Pinnick said that making these buildings up-to-date and energy efficient was of vital importance.

“We’re throwing money out the window,” he said, describing these schools as “gems” but that “they won’t last forever.”

The overall structure of the school system is also under scrutiny. There is some debate as to whether the district should keep the current structure (four elementary schools, one middle school and one high school) or adopt a campus-style structure.

“I do not know for sure which is better,” says Pinnick’s website. “I do know that as a board member, I will be sure to listen to all sides of this debate and then make my judgment based on facts and figures, not my own personal biases.”

This attitude of fairness and balance is central to Pinnick’s campaign.

“Some people dislike me for being honest,” he said, “but I’m going to look at both sides of an issue.”

At just 21 years old, there are people who worry that Pinnick is at a disadvantage because of his youth. Pinnick admits that some might see it that way but he takes a positive spin on it: his campaign slogan is “New blood, fresh perspective.”

Pinnick said that there is no question as to the level of his dedication.

“I drove back three times a week for the levy campaign,” he said. Pinnick said that he would apply the same level of dedication to the school board position should he be elected.

“I’m not a career politician,” Pinnick said. “I’m going to be honest, good or bad. It’s the people’s district. They should see what’s going on. You can’t candy-coat things to taxpayers. They have the right to know and question.”

Pinnick’s name will appear on his district’s ballot November 8.