To Greek or not to Greek?

Chris Beisel

Well let’s face it, upon entering any college or university, at some point you will have to make the decision of whether or not you plan on participating in the traditional process of “going Greek.” During these first couple of weeks at school here at AU, hearing about the various fraternities and sororities on campus is truly inevitable.

Greek life enters all of our minds at some point. While most movies portray Greek life as a living-it-up “Animal House” kind of environment, this stereotype is not particularly true.

Katie Schuster, a junior at AU, joined the Alpha Phi sorority as a freshman. While some freshman may worry about the time committment factor that is linked to being involved in Greek life, Schuster definitely advises any freshman to go Greek. As she went on to explain, going Greek provides any student with the opportunity to meet new people as well as take advantage of new leadership positions.

“Going Greek has taught me to tolerate the differences in others,” Schuster said. “Let’s face it, 70 plus girls aren’t always going to get along. However, we have learned to balance out differences and as a result, I feel like my sisters are always there for me.”

“Through Greek life, there are a lot of activities and community service and philanthropic causes we get involved with,” said Zack Longwell, a member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity here at Ashland. Longwell explained that each chapter has their own cause to support. For example, Phi Kappa Psi supports the Boys and Girls Club of America. Furthermore, the entire Greek community here at AU supports the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Another junior, Lindsey Van Sparrentak, joined Alpha Delta Pi during her freshman year. Van Sparrentak encourages any freshman to experience the recruitment process.

“Joining Greek life also looks fantastic on a resume. It shows leadership opportunities and a focus on scholastic achievement,” Sparrentak said.

Brandy Riha, another member of the Alpha Phi sorority, mentioned that being a part of a sorority has taught her a lot of communication skills in that she has had the opportunity to speak with directors of different departments.

“I’ve heard people say that ‘you meet your future bridesmaids within your sorority'” Riha said. Being a part of the Greek community is without a doubt a great way to meet new people, make new connections, and create memories that will last a lifetime.

However, in addition to the countless benefits that come with going Greek, there are, of course, some cons to the Greek system. One thing that is continuously associated with being in a fraternity or a sorority is the “party animal” label that comes with it. Fortunatley, this label isn’t (and doesn’t have to be) true.

“The main con is the stigma (from films) such as ‘Animal House.’ It is hard to get around this view; but the main thing I can say is that Greek Life here at Ashland is nothing like the movie ‘Animal House’,” Longwell stated.

“I think the biggest con to Greek Life is combating the stereotypes portrayed in the media,” Van Sparrentak said. “No, we have absolutely no hazing and no, you don’t have to drink to be Greek.”

Obviously there is no getting around the fact that Greek Life is linked to partying. While a vast majority of fraternities and sororities throughout the country are no doubt the settings for college ragers, this doesn’t justify that all of them are.

Another con in deciding to go Greek is the additional prices. As students know, college is a very expensive environment. Truthfully, going Greek costs more than the life of a non-Greek student.

Laura Kane, the director of greek life and student organizations here AU referred to an online article that further exemplified the benefits of being a part of the Greek community. It highlighted the pros of being a leader, taking part in community service activies, and fitting in among your peers. Furthermore, college students within fraternities or sororities tend to have better grades and higher GPA’s than non-Greek students.

“Being Greek is about being comfortable with who you are and to help to grow into the person you want to be,” Van Sparrentak said.

Longwell agreed.

“Joining Greek Life, truly is the best networking tool you can use, there are so many alumni that can help you get internships, jobs, etc.” stated Longwell.

Thus, to some, the pros of the Greek system clearly outweigh the cons.

In the end, whether or not you plan to join the Greek community is entirely up to you. Greek life recruitment begins Sept. 19 and will continue through the 24. Students are more than encouraged to check out the recruiment process.