Sibs, kids and superheroes

By Marin Haba

Ashland University will be holding their annual Sibs and Kids Weekend Feb. 17, 18 and 19. The event is for siblings, ages 5-18, of current AU students to come and spend the weekend on campus.

This year’s theme is “Superheroes.” The event is being hosted by Ashland University’s Student Senate and Office of Residence Life. The hosts have planned three days full of activities to entertain their guests.

Beginning Feb. 17, siblings will fill out registration in the Eagles’ Landing. Sibs will then have the opportunity to enjoy the Convo experience.

Following dinner, “The Incredibles” will be projected on the wall adjacent to the Recreational Center pool, allowing for a fun and interesting new way to watch the 2004 award-winning film.

On Saturday, breakfast will be prepared for guests in the Eagles’ Nest. Shortly after, those who registered for Convo’s cookie baking and decorating activity will then head over to Convo to create and gobble down cookies. Siblings have the choice to remain there for an afternoon meal.

At one o’clock, the Ashland University women’s basketball team takes on Northern Michigan in Kate’s Gymnasium. Another option for guests is to experience “Science Insanity” in Kettering’s lobby. A Sibs and Kids Dance Party will take place in the Aerobic’s Room of the rec center. Delta Zeta will also host a knockout tournament on the courts of the rec. A corn-hole tournament is offered for those who sign up.

Continuing Saturday’s activities, students and siblings can take a picture with AU’s mascot, Tuffy, in Kate’s. They will then have time to decorate a picture frame and enjoy snacks in the foods lab.

Alpha Phi Sorority is offering face painting in Eagles’ Landing during the late afternoon.

At three o’clock the Ashland University men’s baskeball team will be playing Northern Michigan in Kate’s as well. Guests will again enjoy dinner in Convo’s buffet-style cafeteria.

In the evening, magician Norman NG will fascinate the crowd with his tricks. To finish off the weekend, breakfast and cartoons will be in Eagles’ Nest the following Sunday morning.

Many AU students are looking forward to the upcoming Sibs and Kids Weekend.

“My two younger sisters are really excited to participate in all the activities offered,” freshman Ashley Franks said, referring to her two sisters, ages 8 and 12. “I am also excited to be able to spend the weekend with them.”

Sophomore Sarah Radeff has three girls she babysits joining her for the weekend. The girls are ages 7, 8 and 9. “I think the event is very enjoyable for the kids. I brought one of the three girls last year and had a lot of fun,” Radeff said.