Mr. WRDL named Mr. University

By Marin Haba

Ashland University’s Alpha Phi sorority sponsored their annual “Mr. University” March 1 in Hugo Young Theater. Male students represented various organizations on the AU campus and participated in three rounds of competition in attempts to “wow” the judges.

The judging panel consisted of president Fred Finks, vice president of student affairs Sue Heimann and last year’s Mr. University, Tim Hawk.

After a very creative round of introductions, the judging panel chose 13 finalists to continue onto the talent round.

Mr. Collegian, Andrew Hart, performed a rap-mix. Mr. Eagle’s Nest, Byron Reyna-Corzo, put together a “World Premiere of Students in Ashland” performance. Mr. Habitat for Humanity, Sam Dowdy, did a dramatic reading of Margaret Miller’s “Whose Shoe.” Mr. Honors Program, Chris Beisel, brought laughter to the crowd with some stand-up comedy. Mr. Library, Marcus Demas, was spitting rhymes to “White N’ Nerdy.”

Mr. Orientation Team, Allen Kowal, drew a picture of Tim Hawk aside Mr. and Mrs. Finks. Mr. Quidditch, Tyler Owens, dedicated his performance of the Backstreet Boys, “All I Have to Give,” to Sue Heimann. Mr. Student Senate, Matt Goldsmith, gave some “well-needed advice” from his grandmother.

Mr. TKE, Thomas Julian, played the acoustic guitar and sang in remembrance of those “gone too soon.” Mr. Well, Zach Heffner, performed a traditional, Scottish folk song. Mr. WRDL, Ben Black, read an original poem. Mr. Wrestling, Jake Southwick, made a candy necklace using floss. And Mr. Career Services, Richard Jin, showcased his talent by throwing money with Fred Finks’ face on it into the crowd.

Following the talent round, judges made a final elimination before entering into round three: questions. The judging panel asked the six finalists to answer a series of questions.

The participants’ answers would help the judges make their final decision in determining three different winners for the evening. The first winner would be the participant who raised the most money prior to the competition, for the title of Penny Prince. The second award was for Mr. Congeniality, who is recognized as the most kind-spirited contestant. The final winner was the best of show, Mr. University. This is the contestant who received the highest amount of points throughout all three rounds of competition.

This year’s Penny Prince went to Mr. Women’s Chorus, Zach Longwell. Mr. Congeniality was given to Mr. Alpha Delta Pi, Dave Thomas. Finally, it was determined that the 2012 Mr. University winner was Ben Black.

The evening also included “Did You Know” facts, compliments of Peers Promoting Organized Wellness (PPOW). Those in attendance had the opportunity to participate in a raffle as well. Tickets were being sold and buyers could bid on a basket of their choice. The baskets were all donated from Delta Zeta and Alpha Delta Pi sororities.

The event raised a total of $1,400. The money will go directly towards funding the Alpha Phi Foundation.

The Alpha Phi Foundation supports women’s cardiac health as well as a number of other foundation funds programs.